Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC running extremely slow

• Please log in to reply

chich

chich

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
I recently had troubles with a virus, which i managed to get rid of thanks to the guys at Geeks2Go :) .
Since then i have installed several programs to help prevent any future malware problems.
They include Zone Alarm, Spybot, Malewarebytes Antimalware, ATF Cleanerand and Spyware Blaster (also have AVG Antivirus)
Since the installation of these programs, windows has been running alot slower than normal and i have no doubt in my mind it is due to these programs.
Obviously i want/need these programs to run for security reasons but they are putting a dent on the speed of my pc.
I am in no financial state to update any hardware at the moment.

Any help to make my pc run as quickly and efficiently as possible would be greatly appreciated :)

chich

Edited by chich, 16 October 2008 - 11:23 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what are your system specs...use msconfig to see whats starting with windows

chich

chich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Service Pack 3

Pentium 4 CPU 2.8GHz
512MG RAM

There are a few unecessary programs that load on startup which I have disabled, but there are some others which I am unsure of...

Program Files\Analogue Devices\Core\smax4pnp.exe
Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe - atbootime
Program Files\McAfee\Spamkiller\MSKDetct.exe\uninstall (i dont even use McAfee!??)
PROGRA~1\DIGITA~1\DLG.exe

Any of these safe to disable??

chich

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
If you have McAfee and AVG on the same computer, uninstall one of them. Do not have more than one anti-virus program on a computer, it will eventually cause serious damage to a point where you may have to reinstall Windows.

chich

chich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Never have purchased nor installed McAfee on my PC.

It states its a SPAMKILLER not an antivirus, could that be used by my pc in conjunction with my hotmail account. (hotmail uses McAfee to scan file)

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
You've either had McAfee installed at one point or it was installed bundled with another software package as an optional install. However, the Mcafee SPAMKILLER is a nuisance and if you already have an Anti-virus or Anti-Spyware in place, then you probably don't need it. I suggest running the specialized tool to remove any traces of McAfee on your system because manual removal techniques fail sometimes. Below I've provided you a link to this tool.

http://service.mcafe...x...083&lc=1033

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I would do the following.

1: Remove ZoneAlarm. It slows the computer considerably and quite often there are lots of problems with it. I use Microsoft's firewall and consider it more then adequate for all personal computers. I used to run ZoneAlarm, Sygate and other firewalls for a long time and threw them all out.

2: Spybot: Disable TeaTimer. It takes lots of resources. When you need it's services you will most likely not understand the numerous windows that open up, asking your permission for registry changes. I came to the conclusion that TeaTimer is just confusing me because, with all my experience, I honestly don't know what registry setting to allow and which to block.

3: Uninstall AVG 8.0 and install AVAST (free). AVAST, in my opinion, is the best antivirus available. I install AVG 8.0 on a daily basis because it's somewhat more user friendly and has automatic scanning which AVAST do not have. Other then that I think that AVG is not much to be proud off as far as protection is concerned and it's much "heavier" then AVAST. In addition, of all free antiviruses, AVAST is the only one which has what I consider a "must" in every computer protection, real time file sharing and network protection.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
dlg.exe is a part of BVRP Phone Tools software suite. It offers faxing, phone book, e-mailing and more. This is a non-essential process. Disabling or enabling it is down to user preference. NOTE: The makers of this utility have also made SpyWare in the past. To-date, dlg.exe is not classed as spyware however...
try unchecking this in startup...or even uninstall it to see if its the culprit...you can always reinstall it

in fact the only things that should be checked is your antivirus and your firewall in start up...

try booting into safe mode with networking and use your system like you normally would...is it faster...

Edited by happyrock, 24 October 2008 - 05:59 AM.

chich

chich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

I would do the following.

1: Remove ZoneAlarm. It slows the computer considerably and quite often there are lots of problems with it. I use Microsoft's firewall and consider it more then adequate for all personal computers. I used to run ZoneAlarm, Sygate and other firewalls for a long time and threw them all out.

2: Spybot: Disable TeaTimer. It takes lots of resources. When you need it's services you will most likely not understand the numerous windows that open up, asking your permission for registry changes. I came to the conclusion that TeaTimer is just confusing me because, with all my experience, I honestly don't know what registry setting to allow and which to block.

3: Uninstall AVG 8.0 and install AVAST (free). AVAST, in my opinion, is the best antivirus available. I install AVG 8.0 on a daily basis because it's somewhat more user friendly and has automatic scanning which AVAST do not have. Other then that I think that AVG is not much to be proud off as far as protection is concerned and it's much "heavier" then AVAST. In addition, of all free antiviruses, AVAST is the only one which has what I consider a "must" in every computer protection, real time file sharing and network protection.

Sorry for the late reply,
I have followed your steps, which has worked to some extent. But since i have used Microsofts firewall, i keep getting a message everytime i load a new internet page. Its from network connection settings asking me to choose a network connection, i dont know how to get rid of it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Lets divide the problem for two parts: speed and error message.

Speed:

Please do as was suggested before by other helpers and remove everything which is not essential to run in the background. This is done by clicking Start > run. In the command line type msconfig and press Enter. Click Selective Mode and then Startup. Uncheck everything which is not essential. This includes all programs mentioned by yourself in a previous post, and others. Confirm and reboot. We want nothing to run in the background accept for your antivirus. Latter you can re-enable whatever you wish to keep running. Is the computer running faster?

What is the base line to which you compare the present speed. Was it running faster before? If yes, when did it start slowing. Was it after the installation of XP-3 or IE 7.0, or was it after the virus infection and removal. Please note that your computer is quite low on RAM. Not so long ago 512 MB was a decent RAM volume. Not anymore. Today I would recommend at least 1 Gigabyte. Memory modules are a lot cheaper today and the upgrade is only a small investment.

Error Message

Try to disable Microsoft's firewall and let us know if the error stopped.

Advertisements

chich

chich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Computer is running better now.
I was comparing speeds to which my PC used to run before my PC was infected. It started to slow after the removal of the viruses (still believe it was due to the programs that were running).

I have disabled the firewall, i still get the message :)

chich

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please go to control panel > internet connections. Report what connections show. I think what I would try to do is to uninstall all the network adapters in device manager and reinstall them.

chich

chich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
Have network connections, not internet connections. Only have internet options.

The list of network connections include...

Dial Up
-aapt dial up
-3G connection

LAN or High-Speed Internet
-Local Area Connection
-Wireless Network Connection

Here is some other if that may help
-aapt was a former ISP long ago when i had dial up
-i currently have wireless broadband

When the network connections message pops up, it asks me to choose a connection between aapt dial up or 3G connection

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you don't use dial up any more you can right click each of of the connections and disable them.

chich

chich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
All of them are already disabled except Wireless Network Connection