Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer won't boot up. Stuck at black screen

• Please log in to reply

amc443

amc443

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Computer won't boot up
I haven't used this computer I have for about a month because I have been using this newer computer I bought recently but I tried setting up the old one today and ti didn't work.

I got everything all hooked up and turned it on and it starts up and the fans start going but nothing comes up on the screen other then blackness and that little white underscore that flashes in the top left and nothing happens.

What could be the problem?

I know the monitor works perfectly and that everything is connected properly so I'm sure its a hardware error. Its a dell computer running xp if that helps at all.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
have you tried getting into the bios...usually by tapping the delete key right after you power it up...
or safe mode...by tapping the F8 key right after you power it up...

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
First thing to do is to remove and reseat( reinstall) the memory. It may have lost the connection to the motherboard moving the computer around. Dell's are especially bad about this problem.

Second thing is to download Memtest 86, burn it to a CD and test the memory( one stick at a time) to see if a stick has gone bad. It's a good idea to try each stick by itself ( if you have more than one) to see if the computer will boot.

Third thing to try is to insert the hard drive in another computer to see if that computer can read the drive. If not then the HD is the problem.

Which leads us to doing either a repair install from the recovery console or if it's inaccessible, from a XP CD.

http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

SRX660