Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

file missing or corrupt on old laptop--will not boot

• Please log in to reply

adjustment

adjustment

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Okay, ready? I gave up on my old Toshiba Satellite laptop years ago. I believe it is the ME edition. It stopped booting up some years back and I put it in the closet and let it be after too long of trying to get it going. When I turn it on and try to get it to start, on the black screen it reads "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\WINDOWS\System32\l_intl.nls

It asks me to repair by starting Windows Setup with the original CD-Rom, which I don't have and the reason I gave up was the CD player stopped working a while before this happened and figured I needed to take it to a shop. Anyway, I had almost everything backed up--or thought I did and it wasn't worth the expense but now I think I have some photos in there that I would like to salvage, if possible. I am wondering if anyone can help with some suggestions to try to get this bad boy running enough so I can pull these stuff out of it.

Thanks for any help,
Ted

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
The first thing to do, if you don't already have one, is to get yourself a boot floppy. If you don't have one you can use any Windows machine, go to this site:

http://www.allbootdisks.com

and run the file for making the proper boot disk. You will need a blank floppy.

Then when you boot from it first run scandisk and make a full scan to correct any file system errors. If you can find the file to install, I haven't seen a download for it yet, you can put it on the floppy and copy it to the C:\windows\system folder.

ME has a built in file repair so I suspect you may have a bad sector on the hard drive where the file should be located, hence running scandisk.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
If what Tyger suggested does not work then the best bet is to make the drive a slave to a desktop computer and you can then access the photos OR if you do not have a desktop then buy a usb external box and plug the drive in.
Cheers
Peterm

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You can find the enclosures thru searching.

Look HERE for enclosures.
Look HERE for an adapter you can use to put the laptop drive into a desktop.