Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RED X ICON

• Please log in to reply

filmNut

filmNut

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
i have recently finished cleaning my machine with SpySentinel under the topic GOOGLE RE-ROUTE VIRUS. more details can be found on that thread but in a nutshell during a post clean up this happened: winpatrol warned me of de-activating a suspicious active X

i got two pop ups by winpatrol as soon as i logged onto tv-links.cc, it asked me if i wanted it to block it in the future, i said yes twice... Now i cannot watch streaming media, Flash is up to date as well as adobe...

BUT i removed winpatrol which i believed changes my internet options, and changed the internet options back to default. my old settings always worked before anyway. i did this thinking it would UNDO what i had done without being totally aware of exactly what i was doing. now i just see this \/

Attached Thumbnails

• RED_X_ICON.JPG

Edited by filmNut, 17 October 2008 - 09:28 AM.

Advertisements

filmNut

filmNut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
this is the warning that came up except for the [ C:\Program files etc. ] part

Attached Thumbnails

• very_similar_to_this.JPG

filmNut

filmNut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Edited by filmNut, 21 October 2008 - 11:18 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Please post in the malware forum. Follow the link in my list below. Take all the prerequisite steps and post a HJT log if the problem persist.

filmNut

filmNut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Edited by filmNut, 22 October 2008 - 01:35 PM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
No problem with that. Just write in your post to the malware forum that you were sent from this forum. We do that all the time.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I helped him with malware removal, he is clean. I specifically sent him here as I thought it was a tech problem

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Sorry, my misunderstanding.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
No problem

To the OP, try disable some of your security programs, I've seen them being responsible before

Do you have the same issue in Firefox ?

filmNut

filmNut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Edited by filmNut, 22 October 2008 - 01:34 PM.

Advertisements

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
I am Spysentinels teacher, so I was helping him with fixing your PC. Like I said your problem isn't malware related, do not make another topic in the malware forum. I closed the one you made there.

This is a tech problem, so you need to be helped here with it

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello filmNut...

Let's check your security settings as they relate to ActiveX.

Open Control Panel and double click on "Internet Options". Click on the "Security" tab and click once on the "Internet" icon in the top box.

What is the Security Level that is currently set on your machine? It should be set to Medium High or Medium.

Click on the "Custom Level" button. Check your ActiveX settings against This Guide. If you make any changes here, close the browser then open it and see if the videos display as they should.

Let us know how you do with this...

wannabe1

filmNut

filmNut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
new problems i dont want to ignore: occuring post clean-up (which i bet are all symptoms relating to one thing) :

1- auto-fill working on/ off at times
2- youtube search query suggestion box appears... (yet it's blank)
3- on some streaming media i still get a red X yet with an addition... the words: "video player here" to the very right of the red X

4- 'realplayer' (for those that dont know about it) has a function built into it that when you watch streaming media online a box will pop up attached to the media frame with a link that says download video, all settings are configured, enabled and the program has since been updated as well; yet this feature will not work.

5- IMDB comes up 'done' with a blank page
6- WIKI "on the page" page links open in a new window only to reveal the original page you were viewing
7- lastly, at least so far... all new windows are set on my comp to open in a new tab in the current window, always. now this only happens if i middle click everything (the old way) that i want to appear in a new tab...
8- cookies i want to be kept are deleting like email sign-ins
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

after some toying around this came up. how would i find this in the future? i dont know if it will solve any of the problems, yet some add-ons were disabled without my doing so. the picture is after my turning them back on of course.

all they did is fix the 'realplayer' problem as seen on the bottom of the picture, how could these things get turned off to begin with.

im new to add-ons so bear with me & what is the real difference with firefox

Attached Thumbnails

• disabled.JPG

Edited by filmNut, 22 October 2008 - 02:35 PM.

filmNut

filmNut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Edited by filmNut, 23 October 2008 - 02:43 PM.

filmNut

filmNut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
i followed your 'guide' link, wherever i was given an option for enable or prompt i chose prompt so...

when replying to this thread i got the following 3 pop-ups, which i expected but in excess i had to click okay a total of approx. 45 times to all three prompts just to reply to this.

this did not fix the problem :)

Attached Thumbnails

• no.1.JPG
  • no.2.JPG
  • no.3.JPG

Edited by filmNut, 23 October 2008 - 02:43 PM.