Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

RED X ICON

• Please log in to reply

filmNut

filmNut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
so i decided to go ahead and choose the second option between enable or prompt, always choosing enable, the opposite of my first attempt

when replying to this thread the second time i have a yellow pop-up blocker bar saying 'your current security settings put your computer at risk, click here to change your security settings'

this did not fix the problem either :)

Edited by filmNut, 23 October 2008 - 04:39 PM.

Advertisements

filmNut

filmNut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

new problems i dont want to ignore: occuring post clean-up (which i bet are all symptoms relating to one thing) :

1- auto-fill working on/ off at times
2- youtube search query suggestion box appears... (yet it's blank)
3- on some streaming media i still get a red X yet with an addition... the words: "video player here" to the very right of the red X

4- 'realplayer' (for those that dont know about it) has a function built into it that when you watch streaming media online a box will pop up attached to the media frame with a link that says download video, all settings are configured, enabled and the program has since been updated as well; yet this feature will not work.

5- IMDB comes up 'done' with a blank page
6- WIKI "on the page" page links open in a new window only to reveal the original page you were viewing
7- lastly, at least so far... all new windows are set on my comp to open in a new tab in the current window, always. now this only happens if i middle click everything (the old way) that i want to appear in a new tab...
8- cookies i want to be kept are deleting like email sign-ins

youtube problem as well as IMDB & WIKI problem have been fixed by switching the compatibility view setting in IE8

Edited by filmNut, 31 October 2008 - 01:47 AM.

filmNut

filmNut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Edited by filmNut, 31 October 2008 - 01:48 AM.

filmNut

filmNut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
The main problem (RED X ICON - no streaming media) is fixed, sort-of ... FireFox works for viewing the media, thank you Rorschach112.

yet i still desire to watch it in IE... could this have either to do with my browser being upgraded to IE8 or the setting as seen in red in the pic below?

as for the rest of the problems

new problems i dont want to ignore: occuring post clean-up (which i bet are all symptoms relating to one thing) :

1- auto-fill working on/ off at times
2- youtube search query suggestion box appears... (yet it's blank)
3- on some streaming media i still get a red X yet with an addition... the words: "video player here" to the very right of the red X

4- 'realplayer' (for those that dont know about it) has a function built into it that when you watch streaming media online a box will pop up attached to the media frame with a link that says download video, all settings are configured, enabled and the program has since been updated as well; yet this feature will not work.

5- IMDB comes up 'done' with a blank page
6- WIKI "on the page" page links open in a new window only to reveal the original page you were viewing
7- lastly, at least so far... all new windows are set on my comp to open in a new tab in the current window, always. now this only happens if i middle click everything (the old way) that i want to appear in a new tab...
8- cookies i want to be kept are deleting like email sign-ins

they have been fixed as well except one:

7- all new windows are set on my comp to open in a new tab in the current window, always!
now this only happens if i middle click everything (the old way) that i want to appear in a new tab...

Attached Thumbnails

• pic.JPG

Edited by filmNut, 31 October 2008 - 01:49 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Try changing the setting to those shown in the attached image...reboot and see if things are better.
IE_Options.png
(I don't have IE8 on this machine, but will install it this afternoon and see if I can figure out what's going on with the tabbing issues)

filmNut

filmNut

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
i did what you suggested, now i keep getting this on every web page with various warnings in the box. ill switch it back

Attached Thumbnails

• syntex.JPG

Edited by filmNut, 31 October 2008 - 12:00 PM.