Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I create an entire disk image?

• Please log in to reply

SkyLogic

SkyLogic

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi.

I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a Tutorial/Walkthrough of creating a backup of my C: drive (including installed programs) so that every time I reformat my drive I can simply place the image back onto to it from the Win XP on my D: drive?

I've heard that Norton Ghost is good for doing it but I dont know how to do it.

I reformat my main drive every few months and it takes roughly a week to get everything re-installed so this would be a blessing if I could do it.

If anyone knows where I can find a walkthrough or or can guide me through it then that would be great.

Cheers. :)

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The definitive Norton ghost guide.

http://ghost.radified.com/

Read it carefully and it will be all you need.

SRX660

SkyLogic

SkyLogic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Is there any other way to go except Ghost?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I use Acronis true image and it works well for me. There is a tutorial here

SkyLogic

SkyLogic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Great thx.

Will that take an image of the used space or will it take an image of the entire drive. For instance if I have a 160gb drive and once I have everything installed it only comes to 40Gb, will it Image the whole 160Gb or just the 40Gb used space?
I just want the keep the image as small as possible.

Cheers

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
It will image the entire drive, strip out the unused space and then compress it. My latest image of a 75Gb drive is 20GB. But you can opt for a higher compression ratio

SkyLogic

SkyLogic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Great.

Thanks for that.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
If you don't mind using a second hard drive to store a exact image of your system, you can use Paragons Drive Copy 8 to do this. I have successfully used this program to copy a system from a 40 gig to a 160 gig drive. I have also copied twice from a 30 gig partition on one drive to another 30 gig partition on a separate drive. Both these computers and the first one had no problems when i switched drives in the computers. DC 8 is a free download from vunet. It cannot copy to a CD or DVD but is rather easily used to copy from one HD to another. You also cannot copy from one computer to another computer with this software. It's kinda one purpose but works very well at what it does do.

http://www.vnunet.co...e-copy-personal

SRX660