Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVDRW "disappeared"

• Please log in to reply

snc87

snc87

• Pip
  • 2 posts
In the past week or so my DVDRW drive has disappeared from My Computer. It does not load or play any DVDs or CDs. It also doesn't show up in the device manager.

The drive is receiving power and, as I'm using a laptop where there is only one connection to the drive, I believe it is not a connection problem. I will check this as a last resort but taking my laptop apart isn't a particularly simple process.

I have tried checking the registry for the upperfilters and lowerfilters solution but I don't have those in my registry anyway. I have also tried the "cdgone" solution posted on these forums that edits the registry. That didn't work either.

I have tried installing Service Pack 3 and all other available updates but no luck there.

I also tried using system restore with a restore point from a week ago (I was using the drive to play DVDs last week with no problems). This did not fix the problem, although the restore point I chose may have been too recent. I tried an earlier restore point, but after spending 30 minutes "restoring" Windows told me there was not enough disk space to complete the process and so no changes had been made. After making space I found all restore points had been removed for some reason so I wasn't able to go back further.

So... any other suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

snc87

snc87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I got fed up and turned the laptop off, removed the drive, turned it back on, shut it down again, put the drive back in and restarted it. It nows seems to be working, although I don't know if it had to reinstall it or if it was the connection that was gone. Either way this should be fixed, but I'll see if it lasts.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In Device Manager expand IDE ATA /ATAPI .... . Right click Primery IDE Channel and uninstall the driver. Repeat the same for Secondary IDE Channel. Reboot the computer and let windows reinstall the drivers.