Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help.

• Please log in to reply

The only pirate washer.

The only pirate washer.

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hey, it's been a while since I have been in here, I left because I was going through some personal stuff and decided to focus on my studies etc. And I thought about this place when my computer got poorly. So I googles it and found it again and even had to google myself to find my user name, it's been soooo long. So, I have forgotten how this place works.

I have a problem where my computer keeps telling my that I am running out of memory so I put most of my documents and things in an F drive. Pretty much anything that can be moved. But, it still says that I have little space left. I have done a disk clean up a few times and it seems to work for about 30 seconds. Can you tell me how to fix this please? I am doing an engineering free elective and I have to install mathcad, mathlab and varius programmers and some stuff for my course and I have had to save them into my D drive.

It's like my puter is getting old. :)

I have deleted things I don't need or use except things that I do not know the purpose of.

I just want to have my computer fixed without taking it to a repair shop and paying lots for a diagnosis then the guy ripping me off.

Please help.

Nicky.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Some specs on the computer would help.

HD size, how much memory. OS?, etc
Have you checked for malware or virus?
When is the last time you cleaned it of temp files and cookies?
Last time it was defragged?

The only pirate washer.

The only pirate washer.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Some specs on the computer would help.

HD size, how much memory. OS?, etc
Have you checked for malware or virus?
When is the last time you cleaned it of temp files and cookies?
Last time it was defragged?

My C drive has 278 MB of 51.1 GB left.
My D drive had 45.4 GB of 50.8 GM left.

OS is Windows Vista Home Premium.

I dont know how to check for malware or virus and I cleaned the drive 3 times yesterday. I deleted and uninstalled programs I dont use. I defragged about a month ago. I will do it tonight.

I am not sure if I have two malware programs running at once. I also have a product key for Norton at home but I am not sure how to stop the current malware stuff to use norton and I am not sure that norton is good because it is targeted by viruses more than some of the others.
I got Macafe when I came to uni.

If you want more details I would prefer to be contacted by a staff member and via PMing.

Thanks.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts

If you want more details I would prefer to be contacted by a staff member and via PMing

Ok, so you only want to be helped by a "staff member". You might wait a while. All members of this forum have varying expertise in a lot of areas. What is nice about the forum is that we all help each other due to the degree of expertise.

With that said, I can tell you that you have very low HD space. Since you have not told me how much memory (ram) you have, I cant go much furthur. You did say it was a old computer, so I will guess at 256 or 512.

If you are running a lot of programs, then you are using memory/ram. If you run low on memory, the system will attempt to use the HD. Since you have virtually nothing left on the C drive, you will get a memory error.

You need to get more memory, clean up the C drive more.
We can look at what is in your starting up.

I can only guess, and so can others.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
You will not get help via PM - we don't work that way. Since this is not the proper forum, I'm moving this to the Hardware forum.

I'd like to add that 123runner may not be a staff member, but that doesn't make his advice any less valid. He's a knowledgeable and helpful member of the forums.

The only pirate washer.

The only pirate washer.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
I'm not dissing your expertise, I am sure you are pretty smart at this stuff. I just worry someone will pretend they can help and screw my puter up more.

My computer is relatively new, I bought it brand new last year for uni.

My RAM is 2038 MB
processor is Intel® Core™ 2 CPU
and the system type is 32-bit OS

I have tried to change my start up programs before, it didnt change because there is a few things that annoy me when i restart so i pretty much never shut it down, but it has begun restarting itself during the night sometimes and I have dounloaded some stuff lately. like 4OD but i removed that, um some programming stuff. I downloaded lime wire a while back but it didnt work so I removed it.

I have been cleaning my c drive almost every time the pop up comes up.

The only pirate washer.

The only pirate washer.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Oh sorry, when I said it is like my puter is getting old, I meant it is as though it is like poorly and becoming slower, not that it is actually old, just as though it is.