Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

CD-Rom Gone

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have an old computer my grandma gave me and its the HP Pavilion xt963. I
went to use my CD-rom and it wouldn't open. When I look in My Computer, it
only shows my Floppy Disk and my Local Disk. My CD-rom is supposed to burn cd's also.

Thank you,

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Check connections, especially the data cable. Unplug data cable and power cable and replug them. Get into the Bios and see if the cdrom drive is there( usually the delete key, hitting repeatedly while computer is booting up. Then use arrow keys to navigate and enter key to go different windows. Esc key is used to get out of the bios.

If nothing else works, replace the drive with a new one. This is the most often repair i do on computers. I would suggest the Pioneer DVD-RW drive for replacement.