Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

17.8gigs? "windows installer patch?"

• Please log in to reply

bluegang6

bluegang6

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
my windows installer patch is taking 17.8 gigs in total!
im guessing something is wrong, i placed a question similar to this with more detail here:
http://answers.yahoo...12205342AAnXDfb
any of those answers good?
pleAse reply as soon as possible, i found no adware, or spyware i was using super anti spyware and Ad-aware...

Advertisements

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
That's too big.

You may be infected with malware, prior to and unrelated to your Windows updates.

It is important to be absolutely certain that the machine and operating system are completely free of malware infection prior to installing new software, new application programs, and especially before installing Windows updates.

I highly recommend that you head over to the Malware Removal Forum for a checkup.

Please start by reading here:
http://www.geekstogo...-Log-t2852.html

Best Regards
Doug

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
thank you, right now i posted a hijack this log ( u can follow up here : http://www.geekstogo...l#entry1355486) but i could not remove all the malware i had before doing the hijack this log because i keep on getting errors, and my computer automatically restarts during the scan, and now i am getting the BSOD, but i fixed that.... i am really sorry, i tried my best to follow the post : " read this before posting a hi-jack this log"... please help me
thank you in advance:
Bluegang6

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
One of our excellent Malware Fighters will pick up on your thread.
Please be patient. They are all volunteers and are obviously quite busy.
Your Thread will be addressed in its turn.

Best Regards

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
thank you for ur fast reply, adn i will take my time, thanks, but now i am getting frequent computer crashes 2...

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
I realize that a worsening problem may be an extreme bummer....
However, it can reasonably be argued that you ought not to be using the machine "for anything" while infected.
That's because, if you attempt to spend time on the internet, other malware may invade and/or your personally identifying information may be compromised. It's also the case that malware may have opportunity to embed itself in more locations and applications on your machine.

Hopefully you will get a reply from Malware Removal soon.

I sympathize

Doug

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
some1 from the malware removal dep. has replied, i am awaiting another reply from them.
so lemme get this straight. if they dont answer me reply in 3 days, i go to the w8ing room "AGAIN"?
Thank You
Sincerely yours:
Bluegang6

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
Until released from the Malware issues, please follow instructions from your Malware Staff helper.
I have reviewed the steps suggested to you in the last instructions you received and believe that you are being directed on a sensible path.

I will continue to follow, as I a imagine will others, since yours is quite an interesting situation.

Yes, if a next reply is delayed you can use the waiting room as a method to gain attention to your thread.

Please be patient, since we are all volunteers.
And also know that in addition to replying, Staff Helpers tend to do quite a bit of research on the problem they are responding to.
This research and study is important for providing best practice recommendations, but can take some time to complete.

Best Regards,
Doug

bluegang6

bluegang6

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
hey doug, man thanx for directing me to malware removal forums, problem fixed, 20.4 gigs of free spacve on my laptop right now!

Doug

Doug

Visiting Consultant

• Visiting Consultant
  • 872 posts
As I mentioned earlier, I've been following along.
Good work. :)
I know that Essexboy will be giving you closing instructions when your logs appear clean.
One of those suggestions will no doubt be to go to MS Updates to make sure that your operating system has the important critical updates.
Be sure to do that!

Having had all of those unregistered .msp files just can't be good news.
It probably means that your system experienced a sequence of botched MS updates, maybe because of the malware. Or maybe just because MS Updates occasionally have problems when downloading and installing.
A fresh MS Update should do the trick.

I'm very glad you are getting it sorted out.
Our Malware Removal folks are wonderful! :)

Best Regards