Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

screen turns off every few minutes

• Please log in to reply

islandcat

islandcat

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
Working on friends computer, the screen keeps shutting down every few minutes. Dont even get time to defrag or scan or anything. Tried going in safe mode and restoring to earlier date but no luck. I suspect virus with all the stuff on there but how can I even figure out what to do when it shuts down on me every few minutes. I dont see the harddrive go down, the screen goes black then comes back up to the monitor name and then back to where ever you got to then off again. Any help to at least get in there so can figure from there. Thanks as always.

Advertisements

onurtaco

onurtaco

• Pip
  • 4 posts
are you sure that your operating system is Vista. This problem sounds like the worm that was making everybody cry with Windows XP before the service packs were released. I really dont know what to say.... :)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
If you don't have anything nice to say..... :)

Are you able to stay in safe mode forever, or does the screen shut off on you from Safe Mode as well?
It could be a video card issue, is the computer using a separate video card or is it integrated into the motherboard?