Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

best 22" gaming monitor

• Please log in to reply

grassi

grassi

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Well, ive been on this for a couple of weeks now, and im totally lost, lol. Its my 1st build and im looking for a 22" gaming monitor. Ive been through just about every search result, and am finding the most popular is this 226BW, which i cant understand if its only a 1000:1 ratio?

I dont know much about this ratio stuff, but i am learning obviously higher is better. Which most of the other options ex. LG227 has a larger ratio from 10000-20000:1?

So why is the 226BW so popular? Even with that s-panel.

Next question, someone enlighten me on their opinion on the best 22" gaming monitor, Even post any positive upgrades you may have made in the past?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

The Samsung 226BW is a fantastic monitor. All the numbers and stats in the world cannot convey this, until you sit in front of it and use it, in all its glory. I should know, my friend loaned me one for two weeks. It was a very short, but very sweet, affair. :)

Mind you, the 226BW has now been replaced by a newer series. A quick look on the Samsung website reveals the T220 and the 2243BW as both 22" current models. You should check them out - they both sure looked nice on the webpage.

I do suggest you check them out "in the flesh" before purchase, though. Just wander in to your nearest major computer store and check a few out.

Cheers

Troy

999Virus999

999Virus999

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I cant give expert advice on monitors but I just purchased the Samsung Syncmaster 2493HM. I have had it for only a week but it has been outstanding so far. It wasn't the most expensive and uses a TN panel which apparently isn't a high end panel (I am told that viewing angles and contrast aren't as good compared to the other types of panels but it is also significantly cheaper than those other panels). I mostly game and I am very happy with it. As far as viewing angle - I am sitting directly in front of my monitor so it isn't an issue.

I upgraded from a 19" CRT to this 24" LCD so I am certainly not an expert in the LCD world. It will depend on how much you want to spend. I got this one for $340 CDN. I looked at some 30" models that were the "higher end" panel but they were upwards of $1200 - $1300 CDN. The 2493HM also has an adjustable base for height and the monitor can be tilted 90 degrees if want that aspect.

EDIT - the monitor I tried to get was the Samsung T260 - 30" LCD but they sold out of them. It was about $100 more than this one.

9V9

Edited by 999Virus999, 20 October 2008 - 08:22 PM.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Typically popular models of monitors are a compromise between price and performance. But what youd really want is one with the absolute fastest response time, so you dont get trails (ghosting) while playing. Also, contrast ratio does matter especially if youre running a high end graphics card (or 2,3,4).
After a quick look on newegg I found this monitor for a VERY reasonable price for the size, contrast ratio and refresh rate (2ms). http://www.newegg.co...N82E16824160023

Personally, I cant stand trails (ghosting) so I still use my CRT Dell P991 (its actually a sony trinitron flat screen). Only bad thing that really sux about it is its size and weight (+/- 50lbs.) But there are no trails whatsoever, and it was hi-def before hi-def was a popular thing, definitely VERY noticable visual quality between types of media and video cards. Its very crisp.
But Im looking into a larger widescreen flatpanel just because theyre getting very inexpensive and I want a larger screen (24")
-P.

Edited by p-zero, 20 October 2008 - 09:59 PM.

grassi

grassi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
thanks for the replies guys...

I have been on this day and night, and i found a more specific route. I really am looking for one with no or very little input lag. I only play the online version of enemy territory, beside using the web. So im looking for something with definetly little or No lag. Which is why 226bw is really popular.

@226bw... I have a couple of emails out to the last of them, asking on panel info. Hopefully i can get good news, but at this pt. i might settle for any of the panels...
I did do some research on the T220 which i guess has some lag, i saw some tests somewhere, and it was dissapointing. There was the LG that had less lag when tested. I gotta find that article.

@local stores... I only have best buy and circuit city, im pretty sure.
@cost...was hoping to spend around $300
@input lag...i was trying to find a monitor that has been tested by input lag. As you guys stated No ghosting, etc. This is what i want for sure, but since most is hard to see by eye, i thought i would go for some test results. Some 2ms response times are coming up bad, or laggy of 3 to 4 pict. delay(whatever that means, lol)

if all else fails with these emails sent out about the s-panel i have these as other options, suppose to have been tested. LG W2252TQ, Iiyama ProLite E2201W, 2232BW. These have all been tested and the Iiyama has none. So its said. Any more thoughts are appreciated.

Again thanks guys for this input.