Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't 'switch user' in Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Zen Pirate

Zen Pirate

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've found similar posts but nothing that is exactly the same, so here goes...

1) In XP, I select log off, switch user, then I am returned to the main windows screen / welcome page.
2) The user accounts are displayed, but the one I am logged on to does not show me as being logged on.
It used to show who was logged on, but not anymore.
3) I select another account, this is followed by a brief glimpse of the desktop wallpaper in the account
which is already logged on, then a return to the welcome page.

So, it seems that I can no longer have multiple users being logged on at the same time.
The same thing happens if I leave the PC for a while, then return to the main screen by
reactivating (i.e. by moving the mous).

I've noticed that the PC is quite slow starting up these days and also there is an occasional
error message when shutting down. I haven't been able to capture this error message as it disappears
too quickly, but it is along the lines of being 'unable to read something in the registry'. I have
no way of knowing whether this contributes to the problem, but I thought I'd mention it.
Any advice gratefully received.

Advertisements

Zen Pirate

Zen Pirate

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well I seem to have this sorted out now.

What I did was (the usual) Windows XP restore from a time several weeks ago when I knew that the PC was ok.

This wasn't as straightforward as it should have been, as I had many problems with Norton 360 before I finally
got the PC back to a fully working state. (This is the first restore that I have done since getting Norton 360).

However, that's another story. All seems to be well now.