Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video Card Question

• Please log in to reply

daddy

daddy

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hello folks...been a while since I needed help from you fine folks, but I thought I better get advice on this one. I just bought some new movie software (Pinnacle 12) and installed it on my HP Pavillion Computer. Everything is ok, but I cannot use a few of the features because is gives me a message box that says I need a better graphics card basically.

Well, I told a buddy at work and he said he had a greart card just sitting in an unused computer at his house that he would give to me. Cool eh? Well he gave it to me and naturally I started googling whatever I could find about it. That is my problem. Everything I find is very scarce on info and I am not exactly sure if it will work with my system or which drivers to download and/or the procedure for inserting in my computer. I have read 2-3 different ways and none of them are the same!

So, I was wondering if someone had knowledge of video cards and what I need to do to get that bad boy installed?

Here is all the info you should need about my computer:

My Computer Model Numbers & System Info.

MODEL NUMBER: HP PAVILLION 754n

PRODUCT - #DA193A-ABA

SN: MX306xxxxx

SW BOM: NA92
HARDWARE BOM: 101
SOFTWARE BUILD: 31NAheBLU4
SERVICE ID: 032-xxx

MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP
HOME EDITION
VERSION 2002
SERVICE PACK 3

55277-OEM-0011903-xxxxx

Pentium 4 CPU 2.53GHz
2.53GHz 504 MB RAM

80 GIG HARD DRIVE

FILE SYSTEM: NTFS

Ok, and here is all the info I can find stamped on the graphis card:

WinFast GeForce 256 / DDR

It has 3 video outputs: S-video, VGA and DV1

It has a fan also and that is about all the info I see that means something

Any help much appreciated! Thanks folks

peace out,
daddy

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

You're system has an AGP 4x port for video cards. From the google search I did, it seems that the video card is a Leadtek Winfast GeForce 256 DDR which is an AGP 4x 32MB card.

This means it will be compatible with your system. The driver is available from the link below:

GeForce 256 DDR driver

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi and thank you for your reply. Before I procede, a couple questions if I may?

First, does this mean there is a PCI slot ready to accept the card, or do I have to replace the exisitng video card. I have never done this before so I am green :-)

Also, do I need to uninstall old drivers and put the new one's in BEFORE I add the new hardware?

And...I don't have any software CD with this card. Does that matter?

A quick guidance would be appreciated so very much.

Thank you again

peace out,
daddy

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Assuming your system is as it was when it left the factory, then it should have an integrated video card. This means the current card is built into the motherboard and is not removable.
The slot that the new card needs to go in, is the AGP slot, not a PCI slot. PCI slots are white, the AGP slot is normally brown and will be above the PCI slots.

All you should need to do, is power the system off, remove the power lead, open up the case & install the new card in the AGP slot.
Make sure that the new card is fully and evenly inserted into the slot, then screw it in place. You'll probably have to remove a metal blanking plate first before you insert the card. The blanking plate covers the opening on the back of the case where the ports on the new card will go. Use the screw from the blanking plate to secure the new card in place.

NB not all systems use screws, some have different methods of clamping the cards in place.

Once installed, disconnect the monitor cable from the port on the old video card and connect it to the new video card.
Reconnect the power and turn the system on.
Most systems will automatically detect the new video card and use it without the need to disable the onboard card.

When Windows boots up, it will detect the new card. You may find that it already has the driver is requires in which case it will automatically install it without any intervention from you. If it doesn't have the driver already, then it will ask you for the location of the driver, so make sure you have the driver downloaded & ready. When XP asks you for the driver however, you can click cancel to close that window. Next, go to the folder that you downloaded the driver to, and double click on the file you downloaded to run it.
This should then automatically install the driver for you.

However, if double clicking that file simply extracts the files within and doesn't install automatically, then make a note of which folder it extracts to, then open that folder afterwards, locate the EXE file (normally setup.exe) and double click it.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thank you very much! The install went perfect without a single problem :-)

Now to see how much of a difference it will make in my movie studio software

Again, THANK YOU

peace out,
daddy

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome. Glad it went so smoothly

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi again Samm!

All is still working fine but I have another question. I was under the impression since the cards name was GeForce 256 that it had a 256MB RAM??? My movie program still won't let me access everything and it still says I need a better graphics card.

My question is, what card do I need to end my problems and will I have to change my power supply to get one that will work? I know nothing about this graphic card stuff OR sound cards to boot. I might as well upgrade it all, so what do you recommend for a sound card as well?

Thank you so much :-)

peace out,
daddy

Edited by daddy, 20 October 2008 - 04:55 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

I was under the impression since the cards name was GeForce 256 that it had a 256MB RAM???

You would think wouldn't you... Actually though, the 256 refers to the fact that the card has a 256 bit GPU (graphics processing unit), rather than the amount of memory it has.

According to Pinnacles website, they state that the bare minimum is 64MB, 128MB or higher recommended. For all the plugins to work, 256MB is required.
They also recommend you have 1GB or more of system ram...

As for the PSU, it's unlikely that simply upgrading your video card will require a better PSU but it's possible. I would carry on with the one you have at the moment but obviously if you do upgrade the system & you suddenly get power related problems, then you'll need to consider changing the PSU as well.

I don't know what country you live in, but if it's the USA, then this card from Newegg should do the trick & is the cheapest one of it's spec that I can find on their website:

Zotac GeForce FX 5200

If you're in the UK, then this is the equivalent card from Ebuyer:

Inno3D FX5200

I've picked these purely because they should both do the job & are the cheapest ones I could find.

As for sound cards, the only requirement is that it is Directx 9 compatible, so you may not need to upgrade yours. If you do want to however, then make sure you pick a PCI card (not a PCI-Express aka PCI-E one). As an example, the one below should be suitable:

Creative SB Audigy PCI

Edited by Samm, 20 October 2008 - 05:22 PM.

daddy

daddy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thank for the great advice. That is CHEAP for a graphics card...I never expected that :-)

peace out,
daddy

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're very welcome. Let us know how you get on with the upgrade :)