Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Problem

• Please log in to reply

mb17889

mb17889

• Pip
  • 6 posts
This morning, all of a sudden, I can no longer access the internet on my computer. I use an Actiontec router, the operating system on the computer that does not work is Windows Vista. The wireless component of the router works (two computers are currently connected), and I'm pretty sure there is nothing wrong with the router. On the computer in question, I am using a wired connection (Ethernet cable).

What I have tried:
1) I tried switching ports on the router.
2) I tried resetting the router (by unplugging the power for 20 sec.).
3) I right clicked the Networking icon on the task bar near where the time is always displayed and tried to "repair." It tried to find a new IP address or something. (When I hover over the icon it says I am connected to an "Unidentified Network" with a "limited" connection).
5) I bought a new ethernet cable and tried it instead

I plugged the Ethernet cable into my Mac and it said that an IP address is automatically assigned or something to that effect and that I might not be able to access the internet or some parts of the network. I am not very Mac Savvy, but I could not get it to work on my MacBook.

I ran "cmd /k ipconfig" and it says my "Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address" is 169.254.115.115 and my "Default Gateway" is 0.0.0.0. This was under the "Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection" section. The Tunnel1 adapter LAC 6 says "Media disconnected" and the Tunnel1 for LAC 7 gives an IPv6 Address and no Default Gateway.

Thank you for your time.

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Do you have any Wired computers connected to your router that are working? Are their lights on the router depicting which ports have a computer connected, or are all of the port lights lit?

mb17889

mb17889

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
None of the computers I had wired work (two). The two wireless connections I have work (four computers total).

The lights on the router light up so long as I have an end of the cable in the router and the opposing end of the cable in a computer (the lights I'm talking about are right next to where I plug the ethernet cable in... a little green light turns on).

Edited by mb17889, 19 October 2008 - 10:07 PM.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
My guess is the ports on your router are fried. Do you have access to another to test?

mb17889

mb17889

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No, but my dad spoke with a technician from Verizon and got him to send a new router so hopefully I will have one in the next three days.

If this is the case, is there a way I can help prevent this from happening again? The router is only about 10 mo. old I think.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Just make sure you have it connected through a good Surge protector and make sure you replace it every couple of years as they do wear out over time.