Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Bios Upgrade/Video Driver Update for Vista

• Please log in to reply

littlebigman

littlebigman

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi guys

Hopefully you can help me out with this.
I have recently updated to Vista Ultimate from XP, and everything seems to be going well, apart from a few small issues.
One of the issues i have had is occasionally (seems to be when i bring the PC back from "sleep" mode), my monitor does not detect any signal from the PC.
I am guessing this is to do with my graphics card/vista compatability, as it never happened with XP.
My PC is currently rated at 2.0 on the windows experience index, but this is due to my graphics, everthing else is between 4.1 and 5.6. This shouldnt be a problem as all the Windows Aero features are running, and i never use my PC for gaming or anything like that anyway.

I was hoping that updating my bios and video drivers may help, but i have been unable to find any of the update drivers to install.

My PC is a Packard Bell iStart1369, details HERE, although i have upgraded my RAM to 2gb, and added a 360gb Seagate Barracuda HDD.

I searched the net, and the only link i can find is for a graphics card update, HERE, however it is for a Hewlett Packard machine, so i did not know if it would be compattable.

Thanks in advance for any replies, and thanks for taking the time to read this!

Dan

Edited by littlebigman, 19 October 2008 - 03:52 AM.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
This page includes the drivers for your computer. As you can see, there are no drivers for Vista.

littlebigman

littlebigman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Hi Skeptic, thanks for the reply. I will save that page, hopefully it may be updated at some point.

After alot of searching, i managed to find THIS website, which seems to have the Vista driver i was looking for. i downloaded the top item, named "Catalyst Software Suite (32 bit) English Only", at 40.5mb. I found it by using THIS page, using the path Windows Vista (32bit edition) ---> Integrated/Motherboard ---> Radeon Express 200.

Everything seemed to go fine, and it also installed the "Catalytic Control Centre", which seems to allow me to change some of the features of my Graphics output.
The forst time i tried put the system to sleep and wake it up again, i got a BSOD. i ran the memory test, and all seems to be fine since.

The graphics seem smoother, especially at startup, when before they would be a little "fuzzy" for a moment or so until the system was fully booted and loaded up.
However, the screen still does not come on after i wake the machine up...does that mean that the only way forward would be to buy a new graphics card?

Thanks again for your time.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
You can download the drivers direct from ATI here . OOPs I see you found it while I was typing.

Edited by Gnomad1600, 19 October 2008 - 02:56 PM.