Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AGP Slot?

• Please log in to reply

Knox

Knox

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi all, new to these boards.

Am experimenting with an old Pentium II, and am trying to decide whether the following is an AGP Slot. It is the brown slot, and also has a hole about 5cms from it where the monitor outlets connect to the video card. The casing labels this brown slot as the "AGP Connector". Forgive me if I'm being too vague, but any advice would be appreciated. :tazz:

Posted Image

Advertisements

timetowaste

timetowaste

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
If the casing says it is, its likely true. I believe AGP slots are brown.

I would go to your manufactures site and look for information about it their.
It would be a good idea to find more specs about it other than to know its an AGP slot/connector.

couriejegels

couriejegels

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
first of all that looks like an AGP an those slots are brown. You see on your motherboard you have PCI slots ( which are cream in colour) if you do also you get ISA, EISA which are 8 bit and 16bit connectors Then you get the AGP slot which in your case is an AGP slot more for graphics better than video. Now check your slot and find out on the compatibility of that slot and if the Graphics card you would want to install is compatible with your motherboard. Hola me for advise ;) :tazz:

Knox

Knox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It turns out that it IS an AGP slot. This morning I purchased an AGP 64MB Card, but was surprised to see that it fit, apart from the piece of metal on which the monitor plugs into, and kept pressing against the motherboard. Managed to bend it and cut it off with a pair of pliers, and is now running smoothly.

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
piece of metal you cut with pliers???
I hope you mean the small plate that goes over the slot in the back of the computer. you need to unscrew that piece, take it out, which allows the monitor jack to stick out the back ofthe PC. then screw the card down to the rear of the chassis.
this is important, otherwise the card could come loose. if it comes loose while the machine is running, it could damage your motherboard, and kill the PC!

Knox

Knox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Worry not, the card is securely fastened.