Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

(PLEASE HELP) Overheating Crashes?

• Please log in to reply

pazza

pazza

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi everyone, well my computer has been crashing like this for some time now.
i play games online and it takes a fair bit of memory to run them, i uassally dont bother turning my computer off because its too much of a hassle. Often when im playing a game my computer will just freeze and ill have to turn it off, almost like its over heated.
Everytime my computer turns off i have to push my power supply button to turn off the power, wait for my motherboard green led light to fade out, then i turn it back on again, my fans and MOBO turn back on but it doesnt boot up. its completely random when it boots up, i just have to keep pushing the power button and wait till finally the led light comes on and i can hear my dvd drive load.

I dont have a clue why it would be doing this but i have idea's, i baught a new case and power supply about 8 months back and ive had this problem since then. everything is correctly plugged in, ive tested and looked at my MOBO manuel 100 times over. i thought it could be a faulty power supply or maybe a fault in my MOBO since its about 5 years old.

please somone help, this is driving me insane, ive had the problem for 8months and growing tired of it, if anyone out there has had the same problem and knows hot to fix it or knows what the problem may be, post or email me at [email protected]

thank you very much

Edited by pazza, 19 October 2008 - 09:28 PM.

Advertisements

pazza

pazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
noone knows anything?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Every one assumes that heat issues affect the CPU, and RAM, but overlook the hard drive.
Have you heard any clicking noises?
Does the system start properly if left to cool down for a few hours?
Try taking the side cover off and directing a fan (set on low) to blow in there.

Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image

pazza

pazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hello,
Every one assumes that heat issues affect the CPU, and RAM, but overlook the hard drive.
Have you heard any clicking noises?
Does the system start properly if left to cool down for a few hours?
Try taking the side cover off and directing a fan (set on low) to blow in there.

Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image

i thought it may be my cpu but i didnt see any signs of it over heating and theres deffinetly no problem with my ram but one of my friends had the same problem with hes computer and he said it was fixed when hes power supply was changed over. i have alot of fans in my computer onee big one and 5 medium ones, so you'd think there wouldnt be an over heating problem. ive had a a large fan on my computer before and it hasnt changed anything. this problem seems to be somthing more technical in the hardware and its been confusing me for a long time now.

pazza

pazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
you could be right though, im actaully going to try and swap my cpu and MOBO over today and see if that fixes the problem, if it doesnt ill know if its my power supply, if its fine prolly the MOBO or CPU.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
From what you described I am thinking it is your hard drive.
It does not want to boot up after the freeze up, maybe the hard drive is getting hot?
Or the drive is just failing.
The hard drive having issues can cause the freezing.

pazza

pazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

From what you described I am thinking it is your hard drive.
It does not want to boot up after the freeze up, maybe the hard drive is getting hot?
Or the drive is just failing.
The hard drive having issues can cause the freezing.

yeh i have to keep pressing my back power button and until my led light comes on, on my cd drive it boots. Sometimes it'll turn on the 2nd try ot the 30th. Totally random, so you reckon my hard drive over heats to a certain point and wont turn on till its cooled down? ill hook up a fun on it and see how it copes then. how do i gauge my harddrives temp?

pazza

pazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
or should i test it with your program before i add the fan?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Lets run the test...,
But please clear up my confusion, when you first push the power button you have power but the machine does not boot,
Or do you have to keep pressing it to get power?

pazza

pazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Lets run the test...,
But please clear up my confusion, when you first push the power button you have power but the machine does not boot,
Or do you have to keep pressing it to get power?

yeh when i 1st push the button i have power but it doesnt boot up, so i have to turn the power on and off for along time before it'll start again, this happens even if i had turned the computer off over night, then the problem still occurs the next morning.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
When you first push the power button do you see the bios screen?
Or is it nothing?
If it is nothing we will HOPE that it is only the power supply.

pazza

pazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

When you first push the power button do you see the bios screen?
Or is it nothing?
If it is nothing we will HOPE that it is only the power supply.

it does nothing when i 1st push the power button, the power supply is pretty new its a 600W power supply. ill find the brand

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
AWW man,
It sounds like your mother board may be going.
It could be the processor,
Or the power supply,
But since you do not get a bios screen it most likely is not the hard drive.
I am hopeing that it is the power supply.
Do you have a known good one that you can swap out?
(since you do get power it is most likely the mother board.)

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

I dont have a clue why it would be doing this but i have idea's, i baught a new case and power supply about 8 months back and ive had this problem since then. everything is correctly plugged in, ive tested and looked at my MOBO manuel 100 times over. i thought it could be a faulty power supply or maybe a fault in my MOBO since its about 5 years old.

Did you connect the reset swich to the motherboard?

pazza

pazza

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Did you connect the reset swich to the motherboard?

yeh everything is connected properly to the motherboard, the power supply brand is Ezcool.
after pressing the button for along time sometimes it will go to the bios and ill just have to go to save settings and then itll run, my motherboard is like 5 years old but its an Asus so it wasnt a bad motherboard for its time.