Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lots of "This program has stopped working" errors on start u

• Please log in to reply

computeruser1234

computeruser1234

• Pip
  • 2 posts
On Thursday, after installing some Windows Updates, when I turned the computer back on I got loads of errors saying so and so program had stopped working. I tried system restore, the first few restore points made no difference but then after one restore, the computer wouldn't get past the login screen. It wouldn't work in safe mode either: it wouldn't get past the login screen. System restore on the Vista CD wouldn't work either. I did a memory check on the RAM (two sticks, 1GB each) with the Ubuntu live CD and that popped up loads of errors. I eventually pinpointed the errors to one of the sticks of RAM by taking one stick out at a time.

Using the working stick of RAM, I used system restore to restore to a few days before the problems started. This worked, and enabled me to log in. However, I still get the error boxes on startup. I also got a Norton Error (0x000003E8 and 3035,6 are the error codes) but I've since fixed that with a fix from their website. I've attached a screenshot of all the error boxes that appear. Windows Live Messenger is one of the programs that crashes, and the same error box comes up if I try to open Messenger from the start menu.

Also, when I was trying to run the Norton fix, it said to disable user account control. I did this, but then when I tried to open Internet Explorer (so I could run the fix, Norton says you have to use IE, not Firefox), it immediately came up with "Internet Explorer has stopped working", and it wouldn't open. Enabling user account control fixed this, and I managed to run the Norton fix by running IE as "Run as administrator".

I've since used the Memory Diagnostics tool in Vista, and that's confirmed that one of the RAM sticks and not the other, but it took the extended check to spot the error.

Any help to get rid of these errors and to get my PC running smoothly again would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil

Attached Thumbnails

• errorboxes.jpg

Edited by computeruser1234, 19 October 2008 - 02:08 PM.

Advertisements

computeruser1234

computeruser1234

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Anyone? I've tried reinstalling msn but once that had installed the same problem still happened :)