Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Difference between 2 types of memory chips

• Please log in to reply

femaleveteran

femaleveteran

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a HP Pavillion dv4000, 1600MHz with a double slotted memories expandible to 2GBs. I ordered two 512MB 333MHz DDR PC2-4200 as specified by manufacturer but received two chips showing 512 MB 2Rx16 PC2-4200S-444. Are these compatable? I put them in my computer and nothing happened. I turned on the computer, but nothing came up on screen. What should I do?
Thanks

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, welcome to the forums. :)

You cannot order 333MHz DDR PC2-4200 RAM, this is a complete mixup of specifications.
  • You can have 333MHz DDR RAM, this is very old now, and is also called PC-2700.
  • You can order PC2-4200 RAM, which is a more recent version (DDRII), this runs at 533MHz. I'm pretty sure this is what they sent you.
The two are incompatible, and so when their specifications are thrown in together in one heap, there is no such thing.

Using the old (working) RAM, click here and run the system scanner from Crucial. It will complete and tell you what type of memory your computer has.

Judging by the looks of some research, the Pavilion DV 4000 series notebooks came with either PC-2700 or PC2-4200. You need to find out which one you have (the Crucial scanner may tell you), by looking in the documentation that came with your computer.

If, after finding out why type your computer takes, you find you have received the correct RAM, then you may have received a DOA set, and need to organise a replacement with the retailer.

Be sure to report back with your findings.

Cheers

Troy

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Ships with either PC2700 OR PC2-4200? *loooks for eyebrow raised emo* *fails in finding one*

They shouldn't be compatible. DDR2 does not physically fit into a DDR slot (in my experience) They're keyed differently so that they can't be combined.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yes that is right, jt1990.

Judging from my research, HP shipped out that model with either one or the other RAM installed. (Which would mean motherboard compatibility also).

I guess it was luck of the draw.

Troy

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Ah, that's interesting. :)