Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Invalid Name On A Query?

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Hello:

I have a query in Access 2007 named "qryMicrosPrinterEdit" that Access doesn't like. It allowed me to create that name, but each time I try to run the query, it barks at me stating the name is invalid, contains invalid characters, or is too long. I don't see any invalid characters and I have other WORKING queries that have longer names. I also checked for spaces at the end of the query name.

Do any of you know why Access 2007 doesn't like:

qryMicrosPrinterEdit

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

FYI: I have a working query named "qryComputerListByPCName" which is much longer in comparison.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Yeah, I've just plugged that name straight into a test database I've got, and it works perfectly.

Have you tried modifying the name, leaving your query set up the way it was?

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts
Jonesey:

Thanks for the reply.

Using Office 07, I had Access create the query based on a table housing Micros Printer inventory. After modifying the query, I ran it to verify my results. Then, based on the query, I created a form. When I opened that form in Design View, I noticed ALL of the fields were bordered with red and had an exclamation mark next to them. I couldn't find anything unusual about the setup of the fields or the form as a whole. I exited design view and tried to open the form. That was the first time I saw the message about the query name being invalid. Now, I can't open the query by itself either. Pretty strange stuff.

Maybe I'll delete the form and see what happens.

I have to appologize in advance. I may not be able to reply because I'm burning up vacation time at work for the release of Fable 2.

Thanks,

Magus

Jonesey

Jonesey

• PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
Yeah, I'd definitely delete the form and try to run the query offline as it were, just double-click it from your query list.

It if fails there then you can start looking at the query itself, if it doesn't then it points to the form.