Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Problems

• Please log in to reply

tkl7

tkl7

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I am having the following problems after undergoing a virus attack.

1. the shortcuts in the start menu are not loading - I can see them when I look in the "all users" folder. But I can't get them or the quick launch to load.

2. The shortcuts I had on on my desktop prior to the attack don't work properly. I have to right click on them and select open, in order to run the program.

3. Some shortcuts won't start anything at all - control panel for instance. I was able to access add/remove, but none of my programs were listed, and when I went to "add a progam" it gives me an error message about rundll32.exe and memory

4. Finally, I want to uninstall and reinstall Internet Explorer, because it is messed up too. I can't though, because it says the uninstall files are corrupted or missing. If I try to install IE, it won't because I have a "newer version."

Please Help!

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Let's take the first three first....

Try to create a second user account.

Start > Run
nusrmgr.cpl
<enter>

See if that starts the user control panel applet.

If not, type

start > run
cmd
<enter>
in the black box, type

net user test test /add
<enter>

you should get a message that the process completed.

Reboot, sign in as test.....does the problem recur?

tkl7

tkl7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I tried the first one, which did not work. nothing happened. I successfully created "Test" although it is password protected - I figured out the password. Control panel launches when I log in as "test", after I first get a message saying that windows encountered a problem while working with the file.

BTW - My anti-virus shuts down in this profile.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

I tried the first one, which did not work.  nothing happened.  I successfully created  "Test" although it is password protected - I figured out the password.  Control panel launches when I log in as "test", after I first get a message saying that windows encountered a problem while working with the file.

BTW - My anti-virus shuts down in this profile.

View Post

Yes, I know it was password protected.....that is what test test did.....suppose I could have created it without it...wasn't thinking....

"that windows encountered a problem while working with the file...."

Does it say what file?

tkl7

tkl7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I don't think so... It might have been something like startcpl or something, but I'm at work and won't be able to check until tonight

tkl7

tkl7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
the file was C:\windows\System32\startup.cpl