Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP PSC 750 CPU @ 100%

• Please log in to reply

huv123

huv123

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I recently reformatted my computer. Previously i had a multi function HP printer/photoscopier/scan attached and had no problems with it. However now when i load the software that goes with the printer the CPU runs at 100%.

It appears this is a famous bug in the HP drivers but im not sure how to solve this and why this is suddenly a problem and it wasnt before even though im using hte same disk as before??

Does anyone know what to do about this?

Advertisements

huv123

huv123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
bump

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
First thing to do (if it is connected to the parallel port) is go into the bios, locate the settings for the parallel port & make sure that ECP is enabled.

If this doesn't help, try downloading the latest driver for the device. If you find a later one, uninstall the old one first then install the new one.

If that doesn't do it, try the following steps one at a time. Test the system between each step to see if the problem is resolved before continuing.

1. Open device manager, locate the parallel port (if thats the connection you use) & right click->properties. See which IRQ has been assigned (resources tab) & make sure there are no conflicts. If the IRQ is anything other than 7, let me know. If there is a setting called 'use any interrupt assigned to the port' then enable it.

2. Open control panel & power options. Set 'turn off hard disks' to 'never'. On the Hibernate tab, disable hibernation. On the APM tab, disable Advanced Power Management

3. You could try installing windows XP's service pack 2, if you haven't already. Make sure though that you create a system restore point before installing it, just in case.

Let me know what happens. Also let me know if you have the printer connected via the USB port instead.

huv123

huv123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
My printer is connected via USB.

I judt cant understand why after reformatting i have all these problems that i didnt have before even though i am using hte same setup disks etc.. For example My adsl modem appears in the system tray in the "remove hardware" icon even though it never did before. I have also already installed service pack 2.

here is a website that discusses the problem but when it comes to the solution i cant understand of word of what he did to resolve it (using an editor?) http://www.testardi....rich/hpwoes.htm

My version is: HP OfficeJet K Series COM Device Objects
File version 2.0.0.0
Version date: April 3, 2001

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, I've checked that out & understand how to do it. I noticed at the bottom of the page, he said HP were bringing out a patch or updated driver for this problem - this was written a couple of years ago, so I checked out HPs website & the patch looks like it's there.

So, you have 2 choices - 1) try the fix mentioned on that guys website or 2) download the patch. You could do (1) first & if it doesn't work, then install the HP patch. You may not be able to do it the other way around though as the patch may well change the version of the hpodev07.exe file & therefore the fix you found won't work.
The other problem with that fix, is that none of the dates listed for the V2 K series, match yours. This may mean that they are too different to work. But as long as the original is backed up, you can always undo it.

To apply the fix for hpodev07.exe :

Go to that web page, click on the link for downloading the fixed files & download the called hpodev07.exe K series v2 May-15-2001.a

Press CTRL, ALT, DEL at the same time to bring up Task Manager. Find the hpodev07 file listed in there, highlight it & click End Process (or whatever it's called in XP).

In My Computer, locate the file hpodev07.exe (C:\program files\Hewlett Packard\..\bin\hpodev07.exe). If you can't find it this way, go to the Find Files command on the start button & type in the filename. Set it to search the C drive & click the subfolders box.

When you find it, right click once on the file & click Rename. Rename the file hpodev07.old.

Find the file you downloaded, right click & select Rename. Rename this hpodev07.exe. Then right click it again & select Copy.
Go back to the folder where the original hpodev07 file is located & right click anywhere inside that folder & click Paste.
Double click on the hpodev07.exe that you've just pasted in - this should start it back up. Alternatively, just reboot the system.

If all is OK, printer works & CPU utilisation is no longer 100%, then it's fixed.
Otherwise, do CTRL,ALT,DEL again & end hpodev07 as before.
Go back to the folder where the hpodev07.old & hpodev07.exe files are located. Delete hpodev07.exe. Right click on hpodev07.old & rename it hpodev07.exe. Reboot system & everything should be back to how it was.

HP's Patch :
Go to the link below to download the patch. Make a note of the instructions on that page, download the patch & follow the instructions.

http://h10025.www1.h...item=oj-10679-2

huv123

huv123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
I solved the problem. I didnt bother putting in the fixes because it wasnt the right version. I just removed the old driver and put in the new one.