Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WON'T RECOGNISE WIRELESS

• Please log in to reply

DinleyG

DinleyG

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi -

I have an Advent Laptop - running Vista - everything was fine and then all of a sudden, my wireless connection disappeared. It will not recognise anything wireless. It won't connect to my BT HomeHub anymore - have reinstalled everything - and have now tried a Wireless USB - still won't recognise it !!!! I have tried the wireless USB in a different laptop from my home - and it works !! :)(

I have tried everything. 2 geeks have had this laptop and cannot re-install wireless. I have downloaded the drivers for my wireless connection and it says it has loaded successfully. I re-boot and it says "no wireless connection" !!!!!!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE - can anyone tell me how I get wireless back on my laptop and re-connecting to my BT HomeHub before I burn the lot on a huge bonfire !!!!

Thank you !

:)

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Did you turn the wireless adaptor on?
There is a switch (or button) on your laptop that will turn it on and off.
Did you install the USB wireless adaptor?
Is there a check by the obtain settings automaticlly in the connections window of Internet options?

DinleyG

DinleyG

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Yep - wireless switch on laptop is on

Yep - installed the USB wireless adapter

Yep - is set to detect automatically.

When I actually type in the word "wireless" as a search on my laptop - it says there is nothing. It won't even pick up my neighbours unsecured wireless - which it ALWAYS did. I literally have nothing - just like that.

The USB wireless works on other laptops. Also - just for info - and I know it isn't the same - but I installed a Bluetooth USB and that works absolutely fine - it's just the wireless.

Nil - No - Nothing - Zilch - Gone - Kaput !!!

HELP SOMEONE !!!!

rmel

rmel

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
DinleyG,

I am having the same problem with my wireless mouse on my HP Pavilion note book dv6985se, running Windows VISTA Home Premium 64-bit. The mouse has been working fine for the last three weeks and then it stops working. I have tried everything to get it connected, but cannot. I will have to call HP, as a final resort. They may give me some information that will be helpful to you, will let you know. I hate to tell you this, but VISTA 64-bit Operating System is the worst OS that MicroSoft has developed. It is totally unpredictable and unstable. HP admitted to me that those who are using this system are a bata site (Gunie Pigs) for Microsoft). The OS does not play well with software, especially "MicroSoft software", nor does it play well with hardward. Once you get it to work you have to basically leave it alone, even that does not always work, such in the case of my wireless mouse.
Will let you know what I find out from HP, I have a three year Service Contract (got it free for all the problems I have had).

Best Regards,

rmel

rmel

rmel

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
dinleyG

Is your VISTA OS 64-bit?
How long have you been using it on your existing hardware configuration?

rmel

rmel

rmel

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
dinleyG,

Is your BT HomeHub 64-bit compatible, if it is not that may be the problem? My wireless mouse stopped working after three weeks. When I originally got my notebook and mouse in July of this year (my wife bought it from Best Buy on Line - that was a mistake) the first thing that did not work with VISTA 64-bit OS was the mouse. I spent hours trouble shooting - I refused to call HP so I called the Manufacturer, Dynex and talked to the Technical Manager. He told me that Dynex does not support 64-bit operating systems. I also called Targus, and they told me the same thing. I called Best Buy Support and explained this to them, and asked them to overnight me a Microsoft PS2 mouse. When I got their package it was the same mouse that I already had. I called them back, and they told me the mouse would work and to call HP, which I did. They also told me the mouse would work. With all of the other problems that I have had with the laptop, I really did not have much of a chance to use the mouse. HP did get it to work for awhile. After my hard drive was repaired, three weeks ago, I was able to use the mouse, and then it stopped working last Friday.

I called HP and the tech. was very qualified. He researched the problem and told me it was a compatability issue, and that he could download 64-bit driver, but he did not feel that it would work. I told him about my experience with the mouse and that the manufacturer did not support it, as his research indicated. So I will be on the phone with Best Buy tomorrow and they will be sending me a 64-bit compatible mouse.

To make a long story short - your HUB may not be compatible - even though it worked for awhile? I am sure that there is a fix for that, but I do not know what it is, if that is the problem. I will research it, unless you or others on the Forum think that I am out in left field on this issue.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

rmel

rmel

rmel

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
dinleyG,

When you connected the wireless USB - did you download the 64-bit driver for it?

rmel

rmel

rmel

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
dingleyG,

The wireless Bluetooth USB worked because it is 64-bit compatible and the driver is 64-bit. I have noticed on the Internet that whenever I request software or hardware that is VISTA 64-bit compatible, I get many responses. When I go into many of the sites they only use the wording new VISTA compatible - this was the same when I went into BT.com. I specifically searched for VISTA 64-bit compatibility and came up with topics that were not germain. The mouse that I received with my notebook, Dynex, says on the front cover Certified for Windows VISTA, but the manufacturer does not support 64-bit!

My first experience with this issue was in early October of this year when I was searching for bootable software for DOS and Windows, that would repair Operating Systems, etc. I specifically requested 64-bit VISTA in my google search and came up with three or four Companies. The one that looked the best to me was Spotmau PowerSuite 2008, so I bought it, as the site advertised VISTA support. Because of the problems I was having with my notebook, I requested that they send me bootable factory CD's for DOS and Windows.

When I booted my notebook the PowerSuite software came up and I was able to use the mouse to open the programs I wanted to run, but the keyboard did not work. I tried several different keyboards (still have my old IBM's, much better than today's) and they did not work. I sent an e-mail to Spotmau support and their reply was that their software does not support 64-bit Operating Systems, and they refunded my money promptly.

The DOS version works great, however, I used the Windows version on my daughter's Compaq Presario, running Windows XP and the keyboard did not work. I would not recommend their software.

The moral to my story is "let the buyer beware", don't assume anything and remember that there are not that many software or hardware manufacturer's supporting this Operating System and for good reason - it does not play well with their products and they realize that the Customer is their livelyhood. Some of the problems that many of you are experiencing with VISTA 64-bit is due to software/hardware compatibility and driver issues (64-bit), as well as the fact that the system is not ready for market.

When I first spoke to my Customer Case Manager at HP, after many problems, she said to me "did'nt you know that there were problems with the VISTA 64-bit OS when you bought it. I told her that my wife bought the computer and I was confident that Best Buy did not tell her. I asked her why HP and Microsoft were selling products that did not work properly. She told me that they were ironing out the issues, and inferred that most of the problems were with other vendor software. Oddly enough, even with the bad hard drive (that they had to re-image), the programs that worked on my notebook were not Microsoft or HP products. She told me that the feedback they are getting from the Customers will help them to improve the Operating System. Needless to say, I was astonished at her responses.

Sorry again for rambling on.

Best Regards,

rmel

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
I have to admit I find it hard to believe that the "Customer Case Manager" would talk about problems in Vista 64-bit like that. It sounds like your Customer Case Manager has not had some hands-on experience and training to ensure she knows the problems and answers that her customers are likely going to have.

In every case I've seen, 64-bit Vista works very well. Just about every hardware manufacturer is putting out 64-bit drivers these days, because the use of 64-bit Operating Systems is become more popular, and widespread. Sure, older hardware is not supported, because it was released before Vista 64-bit, and the manufacturer has discontinued support. Also, 64-bit Vista can run 32-bit programs by emulating them, this is why there are two Program Files folders under your System Drive.

To the OP, have you tried looking under Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Centre? What does it report there?

Troy

rmel

rmel

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Troy,

Was your suggestion to the OP, your polite way of telling me I don't know what I'm talking about? Your probably right, however, I do not understand why the system emulation in my HP wireless Pavilion dv6985se will no longer recognize the mouse, as it was working for three weeks and stopped last Friday. The mouse does not show up in the Device Manager, but it did last week. I have used two other brand new mouse and they system will not recognize them, Dynex and Targus. As I mentioned before, I called the Tech. Managers at both of these manufacturer's, gave them the spec's on the mouse and the Operating System and they told me that they do not support (manufacture?) 64-bit OS.

Attached is an e-mail from the HP Rep. that I talked to last night, to try to resolve my wireless mouse issue. Please read.

In the more than 50 phone calls I have made to HP in the last three months not one Tech. Rep., my Case Manager or the Manager of the entire Customer Service Div. in Canada (Jason McCoy) ever mentioned to me anything about the system emulation. They went into my computer remotely, I watched them all the while, as they did their fixes. Why didn't they just let the system emulation resolve the problem, or tell me that my system emulation was not working (that would be hard to believe after the third complete factory System Restore).

Here are some posts on the BT HomeHub - am I allowed to do this?

Need a Vista x64 compatible wireless adapter - suggestions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the title says - I'm in need of a x64 compatible wireless adapter (preferably a USB dongle), but there doesn't seem to be much information about what would be best to get.

Preferably compatible with Vista x64 (so definitely compatible with XP x64) - although I'm unsure as to whether I will go with Vista yet (I'm going to see how people rate SP1 when that's out first), I want the option open, and obviously I don't want to be stuck by the RAM limitations of 32-bit Windows.

If it makes any difference, my router is a BT Home Hub.

Thanks

Re: Need a Vista x64 compatible wireless adapter - suggestions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Blitzen
2. Airpace Wifi is good and cheap (only about £15)
I have one on my 64 bit vista ultimate partition (mainly for gaming (MSDNAA))

You need to press F8 during startup about the digitally signed drivers but it does work

My Intel 805D at 4.5ghz Spi 1m stable
H3XU5 Social FAQ

Why doesn't the VISTA 64-bit system emulation just emulate the HUB's, adapters, modems?

Best Regards,

rmel

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No I wasn't suggesting you don't know what you're talking about, I was disagreeing with the Customer Care Manager. :)

My friend is using a Logitech Wireless mouse with Vista x64 and he's never had an issue with it.

The operating system does not need to install hubs, switches, or modems (unless that's an internal dial-up modem). It connects to them through the Network Adapter, so it has to install the Network Adapter only. You only need to make sure you have compatible drivers for your operating system with the Network Adapter, and there should be no further issues.

After that, I usually look at other settings to find the problem.

Troy