Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IDE or SATA DVD DRIVES ?

• Please log in to reply

rxkevco

rxkevco

• PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Hi all,,
I am getting near to completing my parts list for my new build pc and would like som advice on dvd/cd drives.

The ASUS P5Q PRO motherboard i have bought, only has one ide connector (but can power 2 ide devices ), , and 8 or 10 sata connectors.

Now i have to decide wether to use that ide conector for my pioneer, and lightscribe dvd drives, , or, , for my single ide harddrive with vista on it ? ?

As it cost roughly the same to buy a sata hard drive as it does to buy 2 new sata dvd drives, i was wondering what would be more effective for my new system.
What would be the best way forward. ? ?
What is the real difference between conventional ide dvd drives and the sata dvd drives ? ?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In general there is hardly any difference between IDE and SATA DVD drives. These are relatively slow devices and changing from IDE to SATA hardly makes any difference.

As you mentioned you have only two IDE connecting options. Considering the options that you brought up I would buy a new SATA hard disk. The hard disk is a much more important part of the system.

But there are other options as well if you are willing to leave only one DVD (It's more convenient for copying disks but you can manage easily with one).

1: Install the old hard disk as master on the end connection of the flat cable and the DVD as slave on the other connection. If budget is an issue that will save you money.

2: Buy a new SATA hard disk and use it for the operating system. Connect the old disk for backups and one of the DVDs. (note: If you choose to do this connect the old disk as slave to ensure that the computer doesn't try to boot from it.)

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Thanks for that, ,
If there is no difference as you suggest, then i will buy another sata hard drive. (Sorry forgot to mention, i have an 80gb ide with vista, and a 320gb sata with all my music and dvds etc on it).
If i use the ide connector for my existing two dvd drives then that is that.
I will get another sata drive, maybe a 500gb, and reformatt the 320 one and reinstall vista on that, , leaving me the option of getting another 500gb sata in a few months to use as storage drive.
I am more than likely going to buy a 64bit vista anyway ( still slightly undecided ) so that i can take advantage of upping the ram to 8gb at some point in the future, when (and if ) needed, so a fresh install will be happening anyway i think.

Problem solved, , buy another sata hard drive ! ! !

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Sorry Sceptic, ,
I think i slightly misunderstood your reply :)

Are you saying that i can connect both an IDE hard drive and an IDE dvd drive on the same cable, to my single ide connector on the motherboard without any conflicts or anything ? ?

This would solve the problem i think, if that is the case.

I could use my existing 80gb ide drive with vista already installed on it as the master, and using a twin cable, also connect one of my dvd drives on the same connection as a slave.
This would free me up to put my 320gb sata drive on one of the many sata connectors , and buy another large sata drive in a few weeks time for storage. I dont think i have ever benefitted from having two almost identical dvd drives anyway, , one will be more than sufficient for my needs i should imagine.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
That is correct. The IDE flat cable has two connectors: Connect the 80 gig hard disk with your operating system to the end connector, jumpering it either as master or cls (cable select). Connect the DVD drive to the middle connector jumpering it either as slave or cable select. Connect the 360 gig sata to one of the sata connectors on the motherboard and use it for data storage.

There will be no conflict between the devices. You will probably have to locate the DVD drive at the lowest slot of the CD drives and the hard disk at the highest slot of hard disks to make them close enough for the single flat cable cable to connect both.

rxkevco

rxkevco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts
Many thanks for that, , cant believe i missed your point first time round !
Havent been sleeping properly lately cos of a slipped disc, , combination of strong painkillers and lack of sleep i think. :)

Right , , that gives me another option to think about anyway.
Trying to cut down on cost and yet still get the best from what i have already, and what i have bought new has been giving me no end of headaches.

Many thanks, , kev

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
My pleasure. Take it easy.