Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comp eating ram..........

• Please log in to reply

Strange1

Strange1

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have a Dell 2400/XP Home/1 gig ram/40gig hd dr/PcCillin internet security/various anti-malware and spyware loaded that a friend is usin. On bootup comp has about 500 meg of ram avail (I have freemem installed) but can get down to 50 meg during usage and of course slows down considerably. Also left on and idle during day or night, seems to eat ram even then. I have checked and found nothing (malware/spyware/tronjans etc. Suggestions?

Jack

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What firewall are you using?

Disable all automatic updates including antimalware, windows, adobe, HP, everything. See if it makes any difference.

What is the volume of your virtual memory (page files). Go to Task Manager > Performance. Write down Commit Charge Total, Limit and Peak.