Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Building new system, SATA drive not master, and PXE-E61 error!

• Please log in to reply

Zackman

Zackman

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey, I'm building a new computer but I'm having some problems trying to get her up and running. Here are the specs:

Seagate 250GB SATA
4GB OSZ SLI PC 6400 DDR2 800mHz
EVGA nForce 780i SLI MoBo
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53 GHz
XFX GeForce 9800 GT 512MB PCIe
Ultra LS600 600W ATX Power Supply
Ultra Grid ATX Case

I'm also running a samsung EDI CD/DVD drive atm (sorry I can't remember the model). I'm getting the PXE-E61 error and I think that the problem is that my computer is reading the CD Drive as the EDI Master. I don't know how to make the computer read the SATA Drive as a master. I've switched SATA inputs on the motherboard, and have switched cables and such. I've tried doing most if not all of the fixes I've seen online, because I know the PXE-E61 is a common error, so I've sort of come to a standstill. The only thing I havn't tried is playing with the RAID settings, which some people have said could be the problem, I'm not very familiar with it. I'm sort of new to building computers, so all and any help is awesome. I'm trying to install a LEGIT Vista Ultimate, but can't far enough to start installation.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
A PXE error means the computer is trying to boot off the network.
SATA drives have no concepts of Master and Slave - all SATA units are Master.
Go into the BIOS and look at the Boot Order.

Zackman

Zackman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I've done this, the network isn't even on the boot order. I've tried all the different combinations of boot orders and none work.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Network doesn't have to be in the boot order. A lot of boards try to boot off so-called SCSI devices when all else fails and there's no mention of SCSI anywhere in the BIOS. Therefore a network boot attempt is still possible even if its not mentioned specifically.

Most boards have a boot menu, typically F8, F11, F12 or ESC. Use this to select the CD unit. If it doesn't show up on the boot menu, something's not right as this menu lists every item the board can boot from.