Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB keyboard not recognized when installing winXP SP2

• Please log in to reply

chagousa

chagousa

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
I have a big problem with my PC.
I'm trying to install a fresh copy of windows xp SP2, in my PC that crashed.
I connect the keyboard, mouse, and LCD video (no internet so far) to my pc,
I put the Windows cd in the drive, and when it asks "to load from CD press any key", i do that, and the windows cd drivers start to load...I can also get to the BIOS with no problem.

Then I get to the point where the system is getting ready to start windows, and the NUM key in my keyboard goes out, and I'm not able to press the required input, Enter, R or F3 to start the loading of windows.

I have a P4 PC 528MB RAM, Dell Dimension, 3100/E310, it has no PS/2 inputs, so I can only do this using my USB ports.

any help will be appreciated,

thanks

Advertisements

chagousa

chagousa

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
After doing some research, I found the answer,

When you do an installation like this (fresh Install), only one of your USB ports is working, so I tested out all USB ports and ran the CD installation, until I found the enabled USB port. A co-worker told me that it is usually the one closest to your network connection....this worked, I was able to Press Enter and install windows xp again...the machine is running great now.

thanks for your help.