Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista will not install

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Hey, I have not been on Geeks to Go for a while but I need your help.
I am trying to install Vista Home Premium onto a PC I just made and for some reason the Vista installer will not load.
What happens is I turn it on, put the disk in, loads up the BIOS stuff, it goes black with the white load bar that says "Windows is loading files..." above it, and then goes completely black and does nothing. Not even an error message or anything.

Any suggestions? I am thinking of formatting the disk with my computer and then trying it.

Advertisements

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Ok, I am now trying to see if XP will work on it. I get all the way to "Windows XP Home Edition Setup" and it has a couple of options (Continue, Repair, and Quit). I chose "Continue" and just restarts. Any ideas of what I am doing wrong?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi Jack! It's been a while alright...

First up, are you using a genuine Vista disc? Is it in good condition (no scratches)?

Troy

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
yes, I am for both the XP and Vista. Although I am not 100% if the product keys are valid but that should not be a problem until after the install.
And the disks are in great condition.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
First up I suggest you become certain that your product keys are 100% valid and legal to use for this computer.

Next, are you able to run another disc, like a linux live CD? Or, for that matter, memtest?

Perhaps run memtest86+ to check your RAM while you're at it.

Troy

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Well I have tried 3 different disks that all have the crazy gold windows logo on them. The disks I have tries: (Vista Home Premium, Vista Home Basic, and XP Home)
They are official copies of the OS. What I am not certain of is the key you plug in after the install for 1 of them. I have not even gotten to the installer yet.

I am thinking it is some kind of hardware or settings problem because of the similar symptoms with the different disks.

Edited by jackflash1991, 21 October 2008 - 06:55 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Update: Got to the "Windows XP Licensing Agreement". I chose "I agree" then it restarts. :)

Edited by jackflash1991, 21 October 2008 - 07:38 PM.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
More info: Found out that it gets as far as the "Windows XP Licensing Agreement", before restart, when I shuffle around the boot priority/sequence.

What should the boot priority/sequence be?
CD/DVD drive then HDD
or
HDD then CD/DVD drive

I also attached another CD/DVD drive to see if that was the problem...no luck.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Last thing and I'm done for the night:
Found out there is a new version of the BIOS. It has V1.4 the newest is V1.5
http://global.msi.co...mp;prod_no=1483

Do you think it is worth a try? I kinda forget how to flash the BIOS. I don't have a floppy drive hooked up but I think I did it once with a USB drive.

Edited by jackflash1991, 21 October 2008 - 08:22 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The only methods I know of, to flash the BIOS, are with a floppy drive (the only method I personally will use), or from within Windows.

Does the BIOS properly recognise and display all components?

Have you tried memtest86+, and/or a linux live CD yet?

Have you considered running a hard drive diagnostic test?

It might help if you post a complete list of components - make and model.

Cheers

Troy