Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need some comments about this

• Please log in to reply

Newbie011

Newbie011

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Im Planning to buy an Acer Aspire Laptop which has 1GB memory and Im planning to upgrade the memory, So the question is would there be a problem if I just upgrade it too 3GB? 1 slot with 1 GB and the other with 2GB, would there be any complications or problems?? Please Help..

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most laptops only go up to 2Gb of memory, check the Acer site or look the model up on Crucial.com to find out how much memory the laptop will take.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
I've seen several laptops that take up to 4GB now...Mine will (tho I only put 2 in) and I've seen several other that do too.

Newbie011

Newbie011

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
As i checked it is upgradable to 4GB using dual support channel, using two soDIMM modules, but the question is can I upgrade it to 4GB using normal RAM memory and not the dual support channel that it is saying, would there be a difference or a problem?

Newbie011

Newbie011

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I have bought the laptop now acer aspire 4530, and upgraded it to 3GB, Now im on the process of installing applications and everytime im finished installing the laptops drivers and install a pc tools antivirus, some or all tools are not working ( Only tested the tools in control panel) like add remove programs and all the icons there, I click them and the computer thinks and then nothing... So Im back to the question again, is it really bad to upgrade it to 3GB? because i heard some people say that its somehow imbalanced and may cause some applications/tools to not work at all.. Is that true? Because I cant think of anything else that may cause this problem.. So I really need to know the truth from the tech guyz here, So can you pls help me??

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello Newbie011

Iam not a staff member here at GTG , However i may be able to assist you here...

Quote: " using normal RAM memory be a problem " , What Module are you actually talking about ... in a little more detail if possible so we know exactly what kind of RAM your talking about ... maybe even tell us the part number or the serial number on the module, so we can have a look at it for you...

It should be noted that for Duel channel you must have the 2 models in the two Different coloured memory banks in the mother board to acheive the duel channel mode , or it will only run on single and if other requirments are not meet...

If they are located both in the same colour bank it is Known that it will take the processor abit longer to access the memory thats all...

if they located in different colours ... they can be accessed quicker via the processor...

and is this DDR/2 SO-DIMM memory ??? ( Double Data Rate/2, small outline dual in-line memory module )

In order for you to acheive Double data rate, you must have matching pairs of modules ( brand , data bits, capacity eg: 1GB etc)

as for the "Tools" not working... i do not see how this can be affecting it ( i could be wrong though )

Just performance would be affected ( Although the average day - day users would not be affected )

Doing tasks like video editing, Playing Heavy Graphical games etc etc( putting some memory "load" on and making the machine work ) , You would notice a difference in performance

Anthony19

Edited by Anthony19, 25 October 2008 - 04:10 AM.