Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Server 2003: Not recognizing HD

• Please log in to reply

ChvyKc

ChvyKc

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've got a brand new server that I installed Server 2003 on. It will be used strictly for a reporting software that our financial analyst uses. The problem I'm having is that the O/S is only recognizing 11.7GB of HD space. I have three 500GB HDs. I'm a little new to servers so don't be afraid to spell something out for me. You definitely won't offend me. Any ideas?

BTW, I can get screen shots of whatever by remoting in but I won't physically be at the server until tomorrow. Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
We could use screenshots of the Disk Management screen just to see what partitions are set up and what the OS sees.

I'm not sure what kind of remote solution you use, but you'll also need to make sure that the BIOS sees all three hard drives, and the sizes are detected right.

Is it actually a server, or just a computer with hard drives? :) What kind of server is it? Are the hard drives physically part of the server, or are they an external solution?

ChvyKc

ChvyKc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
This is an actual rack server. I think the main problem is that I'm just not familiar with the O/S. I have very little experience with working on any server O/S. It's a Dell PowerEdge (don't remember the exact Model number) with three internal 500GB HDs.

I had to do some digging just to figure out how to get to the disk management screen but I did find it and see that it only has 11GB partitioned for the C drive and 918GB that are unallocated. I've attached the screen shot. Is there a way to get the C drive to recognize all of that space or do I have to make a whole new partition?

Attached Thumbnails

• DiskManagement.JPG

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
If there isn't any RAID set up, you should be good to just boot into any Linux LiveCD (or the GParted LiveCD) and expand the partition to fill the entire empty space.

It does look though like one of the hard drives isn't detected, check the RAID setup and BIOS to make sure it's detected and operating.

ChvyKc

ChvyKc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

If there isn't any RAID set up, you should be good to just boot into any Linux LiveCD (or the GParted LiveCD) and expand the partition to fill the entire empty space.

It does look though like one of the hard drives isn't detected, check the RAID setup and BIOS to make sure it's detected and operating.

Awesome, thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes. I did notice that the last HD wasn't being recognized as well. It was like that when I had server 2008 on there so I know that it's not the operating system. I'll check the RAID configuration and get back to you on that. I just need to get this boot partition expanded so we can load a database on the server.

Edit:

GParted worked perfect. Knocked the total HD space of C: to 930GB. I really appreciate the help.

Edited by ChvyKc, 22 October 2008 - 08:51 AM.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Good to hear you've got it working! Good luck with the database!