Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

remotely using another computer through a home LAN

• Please log in to reply

Sic

Sic

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
hi.

i have 2 computers in my mini-offfice place and it's like too far from each other (had to place them that way 'coz of the phone ports for DSL)
and i'm having a hard time going back and forth to do work.

the first computer is for my own personal use.
the second one, other people also use it.

i have an admin account on both of the computers (running Win XP) and the 2 comps are connected to a router (via wireless and the other is thru cable).

i was just wondering if i can control the second computer from my 'personal' computer remotely through the router without having to do something on the second computer.

I tried the "remote assistance" service in XP but i still have to start it on the second computer before i can control it on my personal computer.

is there a software that can do this? like a software that just listens over the LAN and then activate it when asked by the other computer..

thanks

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Use the Remote Desktop Connection function in Windows XP, if you have XP Pro then it is already installed. If you have Home Edition then you need to install it Remote Desktop.

Sic

Sic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
i still have to set it up on the second computer before i can control over it.. is there another way.

what im trying to say is how can i connect to the computer without having to manually confirm the connection.

Edited by Sic, 21 October 2008 - 08:53 AM.

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
No you really don't need to, are you confusing "Remote Assistance" with "Remote Desktop". They are two seperate programs. As long as it is installed on both all you have to do is start a Remote Desktop session from the computer that you are on and connect to the other one. You do not need to do anything on the second computer to connect.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
or VNC either will work