Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network Connection is lying to me

• Please log in to reply

rknight718

rknight718

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have a Standard Verizon DSL wireless network in my home in which 2 computers connect wireless. I am using a Westell Modem supplied by Verizon and the wireless router is from Linksys. One computer is a laptop and has never had any trouble connecting to the network. The other is an old Dell Dimension 4500S desktop from around 2002. It has a new Linksys wireless A/G receiver. This is the lying computer. They both run Windows XP.

From a cold boot, everything comes up fine, the icons in the taskbar in the lower left show the "Monitor" which is the control program for the receiver and the standard Wireless Connection Status icon that Windows is built with, all showing green and connected. However when I open a browser, it comes up with the message that it can not connect to the home page (Google). I have 3 browsers (Opera, IE and Firefox) and they all claim the same thing. I check the status of the connection via the Wireless Connection Status icon and it says it is connected with 4-5 bars of good signal strength. I check the receiver's monitor and it says it can find the wireless router but not the internet. Is this something within Windows or the PC I can fix or should I contact Linksys?

Advertisements

Xzëk

Xzëk

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Have you messed with anything with in the setting of the wireless router? are you able to conect to the modem or router with a direct contact?

I know if you have the main box located in the back yard (If you have ny dogs) are any where else where there can be interfere with the signal.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
So you have a connection to the internal network, but not the internet, which sounds like a setting in the computer that isn't connecting. From both of the computers with the wireless connection, you should check your IP configuration- Go to Start > Run > Cmd, and type ipconfig /all (note the space between ipconfig and the /). Right click in that window, choose Select all, then right and select copy. You can then copy that information into a reply here so we can compare the settings of both computers.

rknight718

rknight718

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
This is kinda in response to my own post about my network connection lying. On a whim i went to the Command line and typed "ipconfig" and even "ipconfig /all". It shows the words "Windows IP Configuration" and then nothing. Nothing. Not a host name or DNS or anything. It just goes back to the cmd line. This might be why my reciever can communicate with the router but still not find the internet. Help please?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
I'm going to merge this in with your other topic.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
What if you go to your network connections? If you right click on the connection and select properties, is the TCP/IP box checked? If you highlight that and select properties, is anything configured, such as Obtain an IP address automatically?

rknight718

rknight718

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The TCP/IP icon was checked, but when I checked its properties both the IP address and DNS server were selected as "Use this address" and the resulting fields were either blank or filled with zeros. I changed this to obtain the addresses automatically. Both for IP and DNS then restarted the PC.

rknight718

rknight718

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
After restarting, it connected to the internet just fine. Do you have any idea why/how these settings were changed? Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
You said the receiver is new - had it worked since you got that? My guess is that it wiped out your settings.

rknight718

rknight718

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
It had worked off and on since I got it. Between computer slowdown issues and some cleanup it would either work and then suddenly quit, not work at all, or work fine. It hasn't given me any problems since my last post however. It's just an old PC trying to handle a wireless network it was never really built for. Thanks for the help!

Advertisements

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
You're welcome. :)

rknight718

rknight718

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
OK, it was working and then without any human interaction it stopped. I'm starting to think it might be an IP address conflict although I never get an error that says as much. The laptop always connects just fine but the PC is hung up on "obtaining network address". Upon a restart the connection either fails completely (icon has a little red X on it) or it hangs up on obtaining the IP address again.

I would post the laptop's IP so you could compare and maybe find one that works but I'm unsure if that's wise.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Is DHCP enabled on the PC? It's in the network settings, under TCP/IP > Advanced.

Do you still get nothing under ipconfig on the PC? It might be helpful to see the ipconfig information for both - you can edit the IP address so the full address doesn't show, if you'd like.

rknight718

rknight718

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
DHCP is enabled.

The laptop IP is 192.168.2.***
subnet is 255.255.255.0
default gateway is 192.168.2.*

The PC IP doesn't show anything because it's still trying to obtain an IP automatically. It does at least show IP and subnet mask as 0.0.0.0 so it recognizes the receiver.

Edited by rknight718, 27 October 2008 - 11:04 AM.

rknight718

rknight718

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks for the help again Sari. I had to breakdown and call Linksys and pay $40 just to remove and reinstall the software. Turns out the Linksys software and the Internal Windows Network installer were in conflict. Both programs were fighting to be the one to get the PC online. I removed the software, reinstalled going only thru windows and it statred up no prob with the next IP in sequence after the laptop. Sorry to bug you again and thanks for all the help. It's truly appreciated.