Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-ROM Drives gone...

• Please log in to reply

saint4hire

saint4hire

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Ok so, for some reason, my computer is not recognizing that i have cdrom drives at all, except in the device manager where i get the standard corrupt or missing driver message. i download the drivers and they won't install bc it won't recognize the fact that i have that cdrom. i have recently used a program that creates virtual drives. could that be my problem? i am at a loss. any ideas would be appreciated.

Pioneer DVR-110D
Samsung TS-H492A

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello saint4hire...

It's very likely that when you created the virtual drives, they put hardware hooks (filters) on the optical drives.

Click Start, then Run, type regedit and click "Ok"

In the left pane, expand (click +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, then SYSTEM, then CurrentControlSet, then Control, then Class, and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed?

wannabe1

saint4hire

saint4hire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yes there are lower and upper filters listed. type REG_MULTI_SZ.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
In the left pane, right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose "Export". Name this file oldfilters and save it to your desktop.
In the right pane, right click on LowerFilters and choose "Delete"...accept the change. Right click on UpperFilters and choose "Delete"...accept the change.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

Drives come back?

saint4hire

saint4hire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
yes thank you very much

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Great!!

You can delete the file you saved to your desktop (oldfilters)....it's no longer needed.