Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My monitor just fried!

• Please log in to reply

Rickie

Rickie

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
What the title says. Doing what I normally do on the PC first thing in the morning -chatting- and suddenly, the picture disappeared and continues to make a clicking noise whenever turned on now. The rest of the computer seems fine. The clicking noise sounds like a cartoon squirrel...

Does this sound like the monitor is dead and I need to get a new one?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Is this a LCD or a CRT display?
Is the power light yellow or green when this happens?

It could also be a video card or, if no external card, the video on the main board.
You could try plugging the monitor in to another computer to see if it will work. This will eliminate the computer as the problem.

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
CRT. The light is orange, but it doesn't stay on long when the noise kicks in.

Don't have another computer to test it with though. tried it in other power board, but still no luck. Everything else seems to be functioning fine. I'm getting a replacement anyway that someone I know had lying around.

Still an annoyingly random issue though.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Suspect the monitor. Orange indicates it has power. It should be green when it receives the signal from the video. Assuming the computer is sending the signal.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Is the "noise" coming from the computer, or the monitor?

Rickie

Rickie

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Yeah, seems to be the monitor and yes that's where the noise is coming from.

I've now got an old monitor plugged in and that works just fine, so I suppose I was right. Now I'm in the market to find a nice new monitor. Possibly other than a CRT, as they're such cumbersome buggers these days. This old monitor works; if a bit yellow in colour, so I guess all is well. In a manner of speaking.