Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Broken PC

• Please log in to reply

matt__56

matt__56

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am having the most ridiculous problem with my PC. My sister has just finished using the computer and she turns it off. She tries to turn it on 2 hrs later. This is what it says: Verifying DMI Pool Data....

Boot from CD.

Nothing happens. So thinking she just loaded my PC with a billion viruses and I have already backed everything up, I try a system re-format with my XP Disk.

Verifying DMI Pool Data...
Boot from CD...
Inspecting system hardware...
Black screen.

Its gone. So, what to do? I hit the internet on this computer. I muck around with some stuff in the setup. I check everything is ok and in place with BIOs and CMOS. It's all good. I restart.

Verifying DMI Pool Data...

Back to square one. But this time, there is no boot from CD option. I cannot try re-formatting it. I put the XP disk in and it will refuse to work.

So I go back to the setup and select the "Load optimized Defults" Woops.

Now when I restart my computer, it comes up with the V-class logo. It says the Floppy Disk(s) fail(40). Press F1 to continue. Now it comes up with another screen with yellow text stating that I leave the CD out if I want to install Linux. This screen stays on for about 5 seconds. Then the dreaded screen: Verifying DMI Pool Data....

So after another restart I read this 5 second page closer. It says looking for Drives: No Raid. Then the horrible Verifying DMI Pool Data.... screen again. Now, I do not have a floppy drive in my PC, so it shouldn't even come up in the defult settings. But if anyone at all has a solution apart from sending to the computer guy up the road and paying him $150 to fix it, could they please respond? That would be great. Also I've read about this fdisk /mbr thing, but there is NO WHERE TO TYPE THIS IN. So, I would really appreciate it if some one could come up with a solution. Thanks.

System Hardware:

130gb SATA HDD
AMD Athlon 64
NVidia 7900LE graphics

Advertisements

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
Ok #1 forget about the FIX MBR thing (that is if you want to fix a damaged boot record on a current Windows installation, which, in this case is not necessary because you are trying to reinstall and start fresh.

#2 You have a SATA drive. Normal Windows XP cds do not detect SATA drives to install to (it basically doesn't see the sata drive). You need to find your sata drivers (which may be on a cd in the box that your hard drive came in) or you need to make sata driver diskettes. You can also try looking for an option in the BIOS which (I am not sure what it's called) says something like enable legacy support or something like that.

Look at these links for helpful information. From everything you've said the problem probably stems from your SATA drive not being detected.

http://www.geekstogo...ive-t52997.html
http://www.geekstogo...ATA-t32032.html
http://www.geekstogo...-hd-t40573.html
http://www.geekstogo...ive-t39392.html

Note: In any of those links if any drivers are mentioned you need to find out what drivers are available for your specific device and not download random drivers from those help links. Otherwise those links can possibly assist you in setting the correct BIOS option for SATA or send you in the right direction...

It's definitely not worth paying someone $150 to do.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
That's interesting...I've never had any problems with WinXP not recognizing SATA, and I've never had to install drivers...

AitrusSkyy

AitrusSkyy

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

That's interesting...I've never had any problems with WinXP not recognizing SATA, and I've never had to install drivers...

You probably have a good motherboard then... I'm not exactly sure what causes the issue, I think some motherboard set the hard drive a certain way and others another way in which the XP cd doesn't see the hard drive to install to. I've seen it work before and I've seen it not work...

Just depends on what you have I guess.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Interesting... I'll have to remember that...

Edited by jt1990, 22 October 2008 - 08:10 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In older computers you had to install Sata drivers at an early stage of windows installation. All modern motherboards recognize Sata without any problem. It could help if we had some details about the computer.

It looks like the OP doesn't even get to a stage where he is asked to press F6 for Sata drivers installation. The computers fails before.

The problem can be the result of a failed power supply unit, corrupt BIOS, failed installation CD, failed CD drive or one of many other options.

Please reset your BIOS as a first step: Disconnect the power cable from the back of the computer. Open the side cover and carefully take out the cmos battery (looks like a silvery button). Keep it out for about 15 minutes. Reinstall and reboot. You will probably get a checksome error or some other message. If you do, enter BIOS and set time and date, save the new values and let the computer boot. Most desktops will boot into BIOS by clicking Delete or F2 keys immediately after switching on. There are computers in which other keys have to be used to enter BIOS (Setup). You can find the correct key when looking at the screen right after pressing the start button. If you don't, press the Pause/Break key immediately after startup to freeze the first screen. Now you should be able to see what keys to press.

Let us know the results.

matt__56

matt__56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Tried the taking out of the battery. I got the error you said I would, but I reset time and dates, and everything reverted back to what it was before. No imporvement, yet no worse. I have a Serial ATA Maxtor 130gb HDD, PTI-400AR-T Power supply. Not sure on the CPU other than it's an AMD Athlon 64 and the MotherBoard is MSI and Graphics is NVidia 7900LE 256mb

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Are you sure that your installation CD is OK? Please open it on another computer to make sure.

Did you set CD drive to be first priority boot device?

Are you sure your CD drive is OK? Can you replace it temporarily with another one?

Double check internal connections particularly the large connector that connects the PSU to the motherboard.

If you have a built-in video connection remove the monitor from the graphics card and connect to built-in card. See if it makes any difference.

If still no good replace the PSU. If you have another computer from which to "borrow" temporarily a PSU, that will enable testing the PSU before spending money.

matt__56

matt__56

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for all the help, but I finally found out. My mate did a diagnosis of the problem. Turns out the HDD is dead. Oh well. Now I get an upgraded. More space. Thanks to all those who tried helping. I tried all of your suggestions until finally I just took it down to the store. Thanks again all.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for letting us know.