Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Out of curiosity...

• Please log in to reply

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Does this forum support Windows 3.1? I notice that the forum title doesn't specifically say it does... You might wonder why on earth I'm asking, but I know of a couple people who are still running Win3.1, and I had to work on one yesterday, so that got me wondering if you guys supported it here! :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Anybody who takes Windows 3.1 online is probably safer than they are under XP, for the simple reason that all the new viruses and what not are looking for a 32-bit environment, which Win3.1 isn't. Only a limited number of 32-bit applications (with the right add-on) ran under Win3.1, with the rest needing full-blown 32-bit environment to do anything.

Not that I recommend going online with Windows 3.1 as it's a pain to do so having only limited support for what was available at the time so even if you do manage to get it online wouldn't probably be able to do much.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
I think the question that was asked is whether we on geeks to go would be able to assist on a win 3.1 unit if needed, for repair.

I would venture that you would probably get some support, but probably not much being that it is a OS that is quite old.

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Haha...Thanks... Yeah, that's more what I was asking. *I* found it rather amusing that someone might still be using a computer so old it had Win3.1...

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,385 posts
Yes
there are some of us who remember how to get around 3.1. However we don't help people who charge for the work they do.
Cheers
Peterm

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Yes, I know that. I was just curious.