Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New XP on dual boot - no sound or internet

• Please log in to reply

Benben

Benben

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone

I have a new computer which came pre-installed with Vista Home Premium. However I need it to run Avid Xpress Pro (an editing system) which requires XP pro, so I've just installed that in a dual boot configuration on a separate partition on my c drive. Everything seems fine - I can get back to Vista and the XP installation looks okay - except there is no sound and no access to the internet in XP. When I run diagnostics it insists there is no sound hardware, but it all works fine in Vista.

I have a hunch that this might be a driver problem, so how do I fix it if I don't have access to the internet either?

This is the system:

Intel® Core™ 2 Quad Q6600 Quad Core Processor(2.4GHz,8MB Cache,1066MHz)
Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium with Service Pack 1, 64-bit - English
ASUS P5K SE Mainboard - Intel P35 - Intel Core™ 2 Duo/ Quad/ Extreme - ATX
8192MB 800MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM - (4 x 2GB)
500GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive with 16MB Buffer
Samsung 22x Dual Layer DVD Writer Super Format +R/-R/RW/RAM
1024MB nVIDIA GeForce 9600GT - Dual DVI, HDTV, TV Out

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Go to the Device Manager by right clicking the My Computer icon on your desktop (if you have it, or the one in the start menu), go to Properties, select the Hardware tab and click on the Device Manager button. The Device Manager window will appear and will look like this:
Posted Image

You will notice a yellow question mark beside something and in your case it should be related to your problem if you're missing some drivers (sound and LAN).

You can find the drivers here, and then install it on your XP partition.
Audio: http://support.asus........ap&f_type=4
Internet: http://support.asus........ap&f_type=4 (try the Atheros L1 Driver).

After installing, the Device Manager shouldn't be displaying the yellow question mark.

Hope that helps.
Kamille

Benben

Benben

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Many thanks - I'd been to that window but didn't understand what the yellow question marks meant! I shall go and check now.

How do I install them on the XP partition without connecting to the Internet? Can I download them in Vista first?

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Yes, you can download it in your Vista partition, I am not familiar of partitioning Vista and XP and if you could access any files between each partition but if you can't, you can use an external harddrive or USB hard drive or also use a data disc and copy and paste the drivers there. Log in to your XP partition and use those devices to access the driver.

Benben

Benben

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Of course! I'll use my USB pen drive. Thanks so much Kamille.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Of course! I'll use my USB pen drive. Thanks so much Kamille.

You're welcome :)