Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Encryption

• Please log in to reply

Buddha90

Buddha90

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi everyone, this is my first post on this forum, so just wanted to begin with a HI :)

I wanted to hear if anyone could sum up the basic science behind modern day encryption ? I'm writing a small paper in school about the German encrypting machine "Enigma" that was used during WW2, dunno if you know it. But anyways one of my topics in this paper is to compare the encrypting methods between Enigma and modern days encrypting. I could maybe read something in books and so on, but it's a small paper which we only got a week to do, ending friday....

I know that a key is used in a certain logarithm and this logarithm encrypts the message. Then you would need the same key, or another, to decrypt the message in the right way. f(x) encrypts the message and f(x)-1 decrypts the message. But I don't see how the key fits into this.

Hope that someone can help me with this, in a not to complex language :)

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Better if you read articles like "Public Versus Private Key Encryption". Other good ones:

History of Encryption
NSA encryption systems

And I enjoyed the history of the Enigma Machine.

Buddha90

Buddha90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thnx for the links.

I still don't understand how a different key can make a algorithm encrypt a plaintext in different ways ?

Is it because the key is embedded as a number or something in the algorithm ?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Is it because the key is embedded as a number or something in the algorithm ?

no....every algorithm has a reverse version...that's what the f(x)-1 is.... f(x) is the function of x so the function of x to the -1 power goes the opposite direction of f(x)....so if you know the function (i.e. the algorithm) then you can find x

Posted Image

Buddha90

Buddha90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry if I seem stupid :)

But how does a key then effect the encryption ? Does the key determine the function ? So that every key results in different functions, and therefore different output ?