Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting a Desktop PC to a Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply

ellzee

ellzee

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello!

I'd like to preface this post by warning everyone that I am a complete novice, so please be patient with my ignorance. :)

The situation is this: I have a desktop PC that I would like to connect to a wireless network provided by my apartment. I have no idea how to go about this. I don't believe my desktop has any wireless capabilities, so what would I need to do?

Thank you in advance!

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
The first place to start would be to install a Wireless Network Interface card into your computer. One such as this PCI card, would entail opening your computer and installing it in a PCI slot. There are also USB Adapters that plug into an open USB port. I really don't have any experience with the USB models because I prefer running cables and using a wired network.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You should know that any wireless receiver that has an external antenna will generally pick up a better signal then one without.

Also, I would have recommend against using a network that many other people do (your apartment building). This is because being on the same local network as other makes you very susceptible to attacks that can steal username and password information.

On a side not public places such as coffee shops are also not safe to enter sensitive information such as usernames or passwords across the internet.

ChvyKc

ChvyKc

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I use a USB adapter on one of my PCs and it works great. If you are a novice and are a little reluctant to open the case of your PC up then go this route. They work fine.