Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Plotting Printer Help Please?

• Please log in to reply

daddy

daddy

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Hi again all. Wow, this is my second trip in two weeks. Guess I am not having very good luck these days in the techno world.

Anyhow here is the problem. Our company has a HP Designjet 450c plotting printer which you can figure cost us around 5G when it was new. Well it still works great...until we upgraded to Vista. So, I researched the HP website for new drivers and guess what? They don't support our model with any Vista drivers. So, I went their forums to see if I could find a work around and one of the first posts I saw was "excatly" my issue. So, I read it and somebody gave the advice to download the driver for hp designjet model 430, which IS compatible with Vista and load it on our computers. Now, there is a catch...it will only print B&W and no color. We can live with that. If we need color we will use an old operating system, but we at least want to be able to print *something* to our plotter with Vista.

Ok...here is where I need help. We cannot figure out how to install the driver!!! We downloaded it a ran it, and it opens up a zip file and we don't see any exe file to continue to run it? Also, we cannot see the plotter on the network from Vista, but it is clearly there because we can see it from older computers including XP.

My question is...what do I need to do to install the driver? We are not familiar with Vista at all so some guidance would be appreciated. Here is a link to the driver I need to install in case someone needs to peek at the file.

http://h20000.www2.h...p;swEnvOID=2093

Thank you

peace out,
daddy

Advertisements

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Hello daddy and welcome to GTG

IAM NOT A STAFF MEMBER HERE AT GTG , HOWEVER i may be able to assit you in your issue/problem arising

I got a way you may be able to install the driver...

here is what i want you to do
go to: Start > control panel > device manager
OR
click " Start Button " ( down the bottom left of toolbar )

Select " Control Panel " ( On the left side margin select " Classis View "

Locate the " Device Manager " and open it up

Look for your printer device
Is there a yellow exclaimation mark next to it ???

IF SO Right click on the printer device with yellow exclaimation mark on it and select " Update driver software " ( Make sure you know the location of the driver "zip" file ( you may have to extract the zip contents to a folder using somthing like " Winzip " ( i am not 100% sure on that... ))

Once you click " Update driver software " you will be asked how do you want to search for driver software

Select the bottom option " Browse my computer for driver software" ( Locate and install driver software manually )

then to the right of the screen select " Browse " , then all you have to do it find the location of the Zip file ( or extracted contents folder )

Then select next

Should be installed if all goes well...

Good luck and i hope this can resolve your issue

Happy computing

Anthony