Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

2 computers 1 ISP. Info needed!

• Please log in to reply

undun40cal

undun40cal

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Ok, i have my main comp connected to my modem. My sister-n-law moved in and has a comp with no ISP yet. Comcast won't hook up another access in another part of the house. I'm thinking about buying a router so we can share the ISP already in place. My issue is, i want to be able to let her keep her computer in her room which is away from my office where the modem and my comp is. Do i buy a wireless router to connect my land ISP and does it make the connection (land) wireless or do i have to get a wired router, where she would have to put her comp in my office??

Also, is it possible to keep my comp wired and hers wifi from the same router?

Edited by undun40cal, 23 October 2008 - 04:16 PM.

Advertisements

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
You can get a 4 port wireless router and connect yours wired and hers wireless.

undun40cal

undun40cal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

You can get a 4 port wireless router and connect yours wired and hers wireless.

Nice. This is exactly what i was looking for. I never dealt with networks so this is some good info. I'm assuming that this is something you have or had dealt with before? Also, if she is to go wireless while i'm wired, is there anything special besides the router that i would need for her computer?

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
Quote: is there anything special besides the router that i would need for her computer

No mate...

Should run smooth with no problems / issues

Gnomad1600

Gnomad1600

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
If she is using a desktop computer then she will probably need a wireless network card installed in her computer. You can also use a USB adapter if you don't want to open her computer to istall the PCI card. If she is using a laptop it probably has wireless capabilities.

Anthony19

Anthony19

• PipPipPip
  • 384 posts
for the wireless function... iam assuming a Driver would need be installed??? , so the device can function / control / communicate ( if not done already.. )

Not real sure on the wireless topic myself....

best leave it with the experts

Good luck...

Anthony

Edited by Anthony19, 24 October 2008 - 04:57 AM.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Hello,

There are a couple of things you want to note. When you buy the wireless router, it will say something on the box like "Wireless B/G". The B/G can be any of the letters A, B, G, or N. Usually, all routers transmit A, B, and G. N is newer technology that is now being implemented. In a nutshell, the higher in the alphabet this letter is, the better it is. I won't get into the details as of why.

Now you have the WNIC (Wireless Network Interface Card). Like previously said, this comes in two flavors; the card that you can install "inside" of your computer, and the USB type that can be used outside of the computer in a USB port. These also use the letters A, B, G, and N.

So lets say that you bought a router that has A/B/G support, and a WNIC that uses N. This should not work, since the router does not support it. However, any WNIC that is EITHER A, B, or G will work (or combination of). On a side note, last time I checked there weren't any decent WNIC's using the Wireless N properly, so it MAY not be worth buying into right now if you don't want to spend the extra money. Wireless G is generally good enough for your average person.

As for drivers... Both products should come with an installation CD, which SHOULD be pretty strait forward. The only problem is that you will probably need help setting up the options on the Router to be optimized for your needs.

Right now we have 3 desktops, 2 laptops, a PS3, PSP, Wii, DS that we use the internet for. Out of all of those things, only one of them is near the modem. So as you can see, we have been using Wireless Routers for a few years now.

undun40cal

undun40cal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

If she is using a desktop computer then she will probably need a wireless network card installed in her computer. You can also use a USB adapter if you don't want to open her computer to istall the PCI card. If she is using a laptop it probably has wireless capabilities.

Yeah, she is using a desktop and the USB adapter sounds good, not sure if i want to actually go in and install the PCI or PCI-E card. It's her comp, her baby and she's paranoid about letting people get on it and do stuff. But all-in-all, great info. Thanks.

Hello,

There are a couple of things you want to note. When you buy the wireless router, it will say something on the box like "Wireless B/G". The B/G can be any of the letters A, B, G, or N. Usually, all routers transmit A, B, and G. N is newer technology that is now being implemented. In a nutshell, the higher in the alphabet this letter is, the better it is. I won't get into the details as of why.

Now you have the WNIC (Wireless Network Interface Card). Like previously said, this comes in two flavors; the card that you can install "inside" of your computer, and the USB type that can be used outside of the computer in a USB port. These also use the letters A, B, G, and N.

So lets say that you bought a router that has A/B/G support, and a WNIC that uses N. This should not work, since the router does not support it. However, any WNIC that is EITHER A, B, or G will work (or combination of). On a side note, last time I checked there weren't any decent WNIC's using the Wireless N properly, so it MAY not be worth buying into right now if you don't want to spend the extra money. Wireless G is generally good enough for your average person.

As for drivers... Both products should come with an installation CD, which SHOULD be pretty strait forward. The only problem is that you will probably need help setting up the options on the Router to be optimized for your needs.

Right now we have 3 desktops, 2 laptops, a PS3, PSP, Wii, DS that we use the internet for. Out of all of those things, only one of them is near the modem. So as you can see, we have been using Wireless Routers for a few years now.

Ok, so this is the skinny on the wifi routers, it's much appreciated too, but how about a wired router with a very long cord? Is the principles the same as wireless and do i still need to buy a network card although she has an ethernet card on-board? Does , lets say, a 100ft cord deplete the information sent from the router to the client comp? Because funds are tight i may have to go wired (found a few cheap routers on the net) with a very long cord.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
A wired router will work too. You will just get to have fun with hiding the wire... unless you don't mind a tacky looking house. As far as length, you have up to 100 meters. So that means about 328 feet. As long as she has some form of NIC with an ethernet port, then you don't have to buy anything for her computer.

undun40cal

undun40cal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
Thanks for all your info. This helped me alot in making my decision. This thread can actually be classified as closed, unless someone wants to add more info. Again, thanx. :)