Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I have a great problem for yall

• Please log in to reply

Justin

Justin

I do a little bit of everything

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
The Parts:
ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard

GIGABYTE GV-R485ZL-512H Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W ATX12V v2.2 and EPS12V 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X4096-6400C5

The problem:

System is freshly built and the system boots up, drives spin, fan spins and the fan on the card spins (I plugged a pcie cable into it)

I get no display on booting up, the monitors (I have two), stay in "standby" mode.

No POST beeps

Oddities:

Resetting the RTC Jumper allowed the display to work for *awhile*, and then it stopped working again.

What I've tried:

• Swapped Video Cards
  • Reset CPU
  • Tried different pci-e port
  • removed ram, swapped out old ram
  • cleared cmos
  • removed mobo screw near pci-e port

I am out of ideas as to what to try next. Since the system boots up, it doesn't seem to be a RAM issue. Anyone have other ideas as to what I can try to get the display working?

thanks!

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Is there anything on the case that's shorting out the mobo, by any chance?

Justin

Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
I just took the mobo out, and am resetting it. There are 9 stand-offs preinstalled, and all 9 were screwed into. The mobo didn't appear to touch anywhere else in the case, but we will see what happens this time.

Justin

Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Still the same result. Going to try clearing the RTC RAM again, but will leave the jumper in the "clearing position" for a few hours, instead of 2-3 sec.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Have you set the Initial Boot Video to PCI in the BIOS setup? I think it's called "Initiate Graphics Adapter" and should be under "Advanced".

Justin

Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
I can't get to the bios, as I have no display to navigate them. The motherboard has no on-board graphics either.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
As far as i can see you done all you can. It's time to RMA the motherboard back for a good one.

So far i have not found any PCI-E test cards to check the slots with so, trying a different video card is the only choice here for testing, and you have already done that.

SRX660

Justin

Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
Not the option I was hoping for, but I guess it is the best thing to do. Should I RMA just hte mobo or the processor as well?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I doubt the processor is bad as it really has nothing to do with video.

From what i have been reading here I would have long ago replaced the motherboard. As a small shop owner i cannot spend the time trying to be a hardware mechanic. So, if i need to spend more than a hour trying to get a system working, it is time to replace the parts i think are bad. Customers will not pay for diagnostic services when its cheaper to buy a computer. That is just my take on the computer repair business. Otherwise i might as well close the shop and find a good paying job.

SRX660

Justin

Justin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
I am sending it in today. Thanks for the help =)