Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista SP1 won't shut down, programs won't launch

• Please log in to reply

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Let's check something else...

Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

Leave it idle for a while, and see what happens.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

msconfig

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all

Click Services tab.
Click Disable all.

Click OK.

Broni, I am stealing this.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
No, I patented it......just kidding...LOL

Please do, by all means :)

salguod

salguod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

msconfig

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all

Click Services tab.
Click Disable all.

Click OK.

Done. I did it last night and let it sit overnight. This morning the problem reoccurred. So, that means it's nothing in the startup and none of the non-MS services. That means it's Microsoft's fault, right? :)

I did notice when re-opening msconfig that the Google Toolbar Notifier (Maybe called "Google Updater'?) in services wasn't actually disabled. I unchecked it as well and re-started. When checking msconfig again it had re-enabled itself, so I guess it can't be disabled? Don't know if that means anything or not.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Google Toolbar is known for causing problems.
Uninstall it, and see, if it helps any.

Help protect your pc

Help protect your pc

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I suppose you re-install VISTA.Must be something wrong in the installation.MOST PROBABLY THAT WILL BE THE PROB.NOT ANY VIRUS THING OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT. Try re-installing vista

salguod

salguod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I uninstalled it yesterday. Promissing, but not quite there I think.

I let it sit all evening and IE fired up fine just before going to bed. The network drive was not accessable, however. I was able to successfully restart it. 2 out of 3 ... :)

After a reboot, I let it sit overnight. This morning, IE fired up fine and the network drive was accessable. I rebooted, and that went fine - or so it seemed.

After booting I got a message that Windows has recovered from a serious error, a blue screen. I didn't see it blue screen, but I wasn't watching the entire boot process. The contents of the error screen are below.

That seems like progress, maybe the blue screen was a coincidence. I'm thinking give it a day or two and see what happens, unless the gibberish below means something to you ... :)

Error details:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 9f
BCP1: 00000003
BCP2: 84F82B70
BCP3: 860A1030
BCP4: 84EAA0B0
OS Version: 6_0_6001
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini111908-01.dmp
C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-5120514-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA2D5.tmp.version.txt

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft....mp;clcid=0x0409

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini111908-01.dmp
C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-5120514-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\***\AppData\Local\Temp\WERA2D5.tmp.version.txt

The above usually means some problems with system files.

Keep watching your computer, and meanwhile...

Go Start>Run ("Start Search" in Vista), type in:
sfc /scannow
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) will find any errors, it'll ask you for the CD.
If sfc won't find any errors in Windows XP, it'll simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's too big for attaching on any forum, so you may want to upload it here: http://www.flyupload.com/, and post download link.

salguod

salguod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
I ran it and got the message "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

Log file available here.

It sat all day and everything was fine when I sat down, IE fired right up and the network drive was available. So I came here, read your post and started the scan. By the end of the scan, the network drive was no longer available. IE was still OK, though. I attempted a reboot, and it looked like it was, but it went very slow and froze and the 'Windows is shutting down' screen for a very long time, so I held down the power button to force the shut down.

Thanks for all your help, this site is great.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
It took a while to go through whole log.
I can see two kind of errors listed:
1. number of Windows updates come up with Failed to find the CixTarget error, which indicates some kind of corruption. How are you doing regarding Windows updates? SP1?
2. bunch of error regarding firewall; what firewall do you use?

Advertisements

salguod

salguod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Zone Alarm Free firewall.

Windows updates should be current, it does have SP1.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
This is what I'd try....
To be safe, physically disconnect from the net, uninstall ZA, turn Windows firewall on, reconnect, and see, if any help.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
BTW...Windows updates error are listed as not critical, so let's hope, it's not the issue.

salguod

salguod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
OK, I uninstalled ZA. Of course, the uninstall routine froze and had to be ended through the Task Manager. I restarted it and it completed fine. Then the laptop wouldn't restart when instructed, so I had to force a shutdown.

Then, upon restarting, it won't connect to my wireless. In the "Connect to a Network" screen where it lists available wireless networks, it says "Connected, but with limited Access", but every where else (network & sharing, etc) it indicates "Not Connected". If I try to disconnect and reconnect, I get a message that it's taking longer than usual and then it fails.

If I select 'diagnose' I get a couple of options. One was to make sure Iv4 & IPv6 are on. Well, I had disabled IPv6 a few steps back, so I tried turning that on. Didn't help, I turned it back off. Another was to move the computer. It's in the same place it always was, maybe 3 feet from the router. The third one just says that the wireless card may be having difficulties or something. Duh.

Also, when I initiated the uninstall of ZA (after disabling the wireless through the switch on the front of the laptop), the Windows Security message I expected flashed briefly, then went out. When I went to turn on the Windows Firewall, it was already on. I'm almost certain that I did not have them both on (I know that's not a good idea), but would the Windows Firewall turn itself on?

So, now I've got nothing. No internet, no email, no IM, no shared drive. Sigh. I suppose that this may mean we are getting close to the real problem, but for now it's worse. :)

skyhintack

skyhintack

• PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
No, Windows Firewall will not turn itself on. You would have to do it manually or when the display message on the task bar shows up asking to do it for you.