Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista SP1 won't shut down, programs won't launch

• Please log in to reply

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
It looks like, you just got more indications, that ZA is/was causing some problems.
As for your current connection problems, try some basic troubleshooting steps...

First, try to connect your computer straight to the modem, bypassing router.
If that simple step doesn't help...

Turn off computer. Disconnect router, and modem from power source for 30 seconds.
Power them back on.
Restart computer.

If that doesn't work, bypass router, and connect computer straight to the modem.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK.

In Command Prompt window, type in following commands, and hit Enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Go Start>Run (Start search in Vista), type in:
cmd
Click OK.

At Command Prompt, type in:
netsh int ip reset reset.log
Hit Enter.
Type in:
netsh winsock reset catalog
Hit Enter.

Restart computer.

If that doesn't work...
Download, install, and run WinSockFix: http://www.softpedia...inSockFix.shtml
Restart computer, and check again.

Advertisements

salguod

salguod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
OK, my wife comes home and finds that she can't connect to the network (I had forgotten to tell her what happened this AM), she reboots. After the reboot, all is fine. Huh. It's been on for a few hours now and IE works fine and the network is accessable.

I do think that perhaps ZA was the trouble. It also seems that perhaps I had somehow inadvertantly had both ZA and the Windows Firewall on. I know better and was sure that wasn't the case, but ...

Let's see what happens overnight tonight and in the coming days and the next time I try to shut it down or reboot.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

I do think that perhaps ZA was the trouble. It also seems that perhaps I had somehow inadvertantly had both ZA and the Windows Firewall on.

Both causes possible, however, because of CBS.log listings, I'd lean toward ZA itself. I'm not really fond of that firewall.
Keep us posted. It's an interesting case.

salguod

salguod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
So for, no issues. After the weekend, if there are none, I'd say it's solved.

What Firewall would you recommend? Free is preferable. :) My understanding is that the built in Windows firewall is only adequate. It only looks for incoming activity, right? So, if you bring something in via email or flash drive, the Windows firewall won't catch it when it starts sending data out.

I'm open to free AV suggestions too, AVG has been flaky of late with its updates. They frequently fail and have to be done manually.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
That's pretty good news :)

It only looks for incoming activity, right?

Yes.
I don't recommend AVG anymore, because it's been having issue after issue, since 8.0 version was released.
I use Comodo firewall, and Avast AV on Vista (both free).
New Comodo version, Comodo Internet Security is free, and provides AV, and firewall.
On XP, I use Comodo, and Avira (free, too).

salguod

salguod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Well, that seems to have fixed it, no more problems that I know of (my wife hasn't mentioned any). I haven't yet installed the new AV & firewall. Why the different AV software for Vista vs. XP? Would you recommend the new combo AV & firewall from Comodo?

Thanks for your help in sorting this out, I really appreciate it. I think I'm pretty knowledgeable about computers but I would have never figured this out myself.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I'm glad, things are working out :)
Please, install AV, and a firewall immediately! You can't use the net without them.

Why different AVs on Vista, and XP? Just testing purposes. I like to know how things work.

Comodo Internet Security seems to be very good protection. I have to read, yet, about any complains.

salguod

salguod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Oh, I still have the Windows firewall on and AVG installed. Certainly wouldn't be online w/out them. AVG updates are flaky and I want to upgrade to a better firewall. Just haven't gotten to it yet.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
I see. I think, you'd do better by ditching AVG. Too many issues to list here. Sometimes, weird issues, hard to track.

salguod

salguod

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Got rid of AG & Zone Alarm on all 3 computers in the house. I installed Comodo and so far really like it. I like that I can tell it to trust my home network rather than having to allow each IP on each computer as with ZA. That was a pain.

Uninstalling AVG was painful on the Vista machine. Uninstaller wouldn't run, kept saying it wasn't installed. I tried run as admin and even safe mode, nothing. tried shutting it down first with msconfig and then running it, no good. I even tried an manual uninstall. Finally found a post at Grissoft's web site suggesting to re-install then uninstall, that did it. Weird.

Advertisements