Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Advice on upgradeing my computers

• Please log in to reply

tisoy505

tisoy505

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I have recently got a Dell E521 for free. I was curious if I upgraded it to a stronger CPU and got a decent VGA, and probably a better power supply if it would be better then my current computer. I'll put the specs below. My budget is about $150-$200. I'll use it for gaming, like IL-2, Medieval 2, Silent Hunter 4, Bioshock, and the like. I'm not hardcore but I would like a strong computer.

The free computer specs:

My free Dell E521:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ 1.9Ghz ----Upgrade to this or similiar
80Gig harddrive
1 Gig Ram 500HZ or so
Windows XP Home Edition
1 PCI-E slot ------Upgrade to Maybe this?
305 W power supply

Will that make it faster then this?

Current computer Dell 8400:
P4 3.4G
2G Ram 3200
EVGA 7900GS
160HD
Windows XP
400W Ultra PSU

My wife will get the other computer. She surfes, emails, and uses adobe photoshop elemnts 4 a lot. So I want her to be able to do that still.

Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by tisoy505, 24 October 2008 - 09:29 AM.

Advertisements

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Both of these look like good choices, and EVGA is a highly recomended brand. So that brings you to $146 before the rebate, and $106 after the rebate. Next, you will definately need a new power supply. How about I suggest this one. It will be above your recomended minimum power requirements, which I prefer to do just in case.

So that will bring you to $156 after rebate. So lets compare it to your current computer. You will have a dual-core processor, which is good for current games, and multitasking. Your video card will no longer be "high end", but it will have DirectX10. You will have 1 GB less RAM, which is running at a higher frequency. You will be losing 80 GB of HDD space. Finally you should have a stonger power supply, which will probably be more energy efficient too (don't know what current power supply you have).

If you are good at managing your disc space, then you could possibly disreguard the lack of disc space. However, the amount of space needed by games is not a small factor. Bioshock will use up 8 GB of disc space to install. Another thing is it wouldn't hurt to upgrade to 2 GB of matching RAM.

Whether or not you decide to spend the money, I hope I helped out some.

tisoy505

tisoy505

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks for the advice, I think your right about the RAM, probably should spring for it. Thanks for the tips!

How does my processor(P4 3.4Ghz) compare to the new one(Dual Core 2.7Ghz). I don't get how to compare them. If a game is designed for single core, then wouldn't the P4 be the faster of the two?

Edited by tisoy505, 24 October 2008 - 09:56 AM.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Yeah, as long as your not going in the deep end on RAM, then a 1 gig upgrade shouldn't be too expensive. You just want to make sure that its the same type of RAM as what you currently have, and that your motherboard can address 2 GB of RAM. I believe that your MOBO can support the upgrade, as long as your not using up all of the slots.

tisoy505

tisoy505

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Again I agree with you on the RAM. Another question, I was looking at combos on Newegg and came across this, would the 89W rating be a problem for my MOBO. Would the added coast be worth it. If you can't tell I'm playing the for a few more dollars game... :)

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
You attached a link to the shopping cart. This will only show the item on your computer. Try using the link for the item description page.

tisoy505

tisoy505

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Here is the CPU and here is the PSU.

Also I was looking at some ram and came across this. It's the same speed as my current RAM, my question is will it be a problem if I have to 2-512MB sticks and 2-1GB sticks? Total of 3GB.

Edited by tisoy505, 27 October 2008 - 06:24 PM.