Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP wont update

• Please log in to reply

Pitbull69

Pitbull69

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I had to reformat my machine yesterday everything went fine, I started the updates it installed SP3 and then a few more updates but there are some hardware updates and some high priority ones... they all download ok but its when it comes to installing them that they fail... I then tried to install msn Live messenger and again it downloads ok but fails to install... I am stumped as to what it can be... I have googled it.. but all the help pages refer to error messages and mine doesnt give me an error message just a failed to install message...

any help be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
First, we will ask you to locate the installation error code that your computer recorded when the installation failed. To do this, follow these steps:
a. Click Start... click All Programs... and then click Windows Update or Microsoft Update.
b. On the Windows Update Web site ... click Review your update history...A window opens that shows all the updates that have been installed or that have failed to install on the computer.
c. In the Status column of this window, locate the update that failed to install, and then click the red X.
A new window opens that displays the installation error code.
d. Note the error number. You will have to type or paste the error number in a search box in the next step.

Step 2: Search for the installation error code in the Windows Update Troubleshooter

Next, we will see whether the Windows Update troubleshooter can determine which steps you should take to try to resolve this problem. To use the Windows Update troubleshooter, follow these steps:
a. In the open window that contains the installation error code, click Find Solutions.
b. In the Microsoft Update or the Windows Update window, in the Type keywords here box, type or paste the error number that you noted in substep "c" of "Step 1: Locate the installation error code"
c. Click Search.
d. If the search returns links with suggestion of what you should try next, click the links, and then try to resolve your problem with the steps provided in the related articles.
If no suggestions are returned or if the steps did not resolve your problem, go to Step 3.

Step 3: Search for the installation error code in the Microsoft Knowledge Base

If the Windows Update troubleshooter was unable to resolve your problem, you might want to search the Microsoft Knowledge Base to see whether it can offer additional help suggestions. To do this, follow these steps:
a. In the Microsoft Update window or the Windows Update window, click Go to Knowledge Base articles.
b. Search for the error number that noted in substep "c" of "Step 1: Locate the installation error code."
c. If the search returns links to content that contains the installation error code, click the links, and then try to resolve your problem with the steps provided in that content.
If no suggestions are returned, or if you could not resolve your problem , you might want to ask someone for help or contact support. For information about how to do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://go.microsoft....k/?linkID=21608