Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Which model of MSI motherboard to choose

• Please log in to reply

chickmazta

chickmazta

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hello there! I hope you guys can help me out. I wanted to build a computer based on an msi board with a 780 chipset. I'm not into extreme gaming but I play games...lol I would only use 1 video card so choosing 790 chipset is not on my list. The problem is I'm confused on what model of 780 chipset I would choose. I've seen 12 different models of 780 chipset based boards on msi website. I'd also like to know which of the model is the most stable one with built in graphics. These are some models I have seen KA780GM-M, KA780GM, KA780G, K9A2VM-FIH, K9A2GM-FD / FIH / FIH-S, KA780VM-D etc. Tnx in advance!!!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

You play games with onboard video? What games are you talking about, here?

And what's your budget for a motherboard?

Troy

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
If you are only going to be using one video card, then neither the 780i or 790i are the right choice for you. Both have high prices due to their SLI-capability, but if you aren't going to be using SLI, there is no reason to pay a premium for it. You probably want to look at the P45 chipset, perhaps something like the Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L.