Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Riddles and Brainteasers ... game

• Please log in to reply

rmel

rmel

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
kindness.

rmel

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

kindness.

rmel

this post might be in the wrong topic? Or I just don't understand what you mean :)

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Three men were caught stealing so the King sent them to the dungeon. But the king decided to give them a chance. He made them stand in a line and put hats on their heads. He told them that if they answer a riddle, they could go free. Here is the riddle:

Each of you has a hat on your head. You do not know the color of the hat on your own head. If one of you can guess the color of the hat on your head, I will let you free. But before you answer, you must keep standing in this line. You cannot turn around. Here are my only hints: There are only black hats and white hats. There are two black hats and three white hats.

The rear man, said he didn't know the color of his hat. The man in the middle didn't know it either. After that, the man in the front knew the color of his hat.

What was the color and how did he know?

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Well the rear man can see the second man and the front man.

If the rear man didn't know, than that means that the the men in front of him both aren't wearing white hats. Otherwise he would know his is black.

The second man knew that the man behind him couldn't figure it out so the 2nd man knew that himself and the guy in front of him can't both be wearing white hats.

The second man can see the front man.

If the man in front of him was wearing a white hat than the second man would have to wear a black hat because the third would have known.

But the second man didn't know, so that means that the guy in front of him was wearing a black hat. And he himself could be wearing a black or white hat, which is why he didn't know.

And the front guy figured out all of why the men behind him couldn't figure it out. Which left only what hat colour he could be wearing.

He's wearing a black hat.

Edited by piano9playa5, 18 November 2008 - 07:05 PM.

rmel

rmel

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
BHowett,

This was my response to one of the riddles from yesterday. I do not remember all the details of the riddle, something about, what can you give to someone that you will always have? Not really sure.

Best Regards,

rmel

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts
oh I got ya... I just missed it because we had already moved on to a diffrent riddle :)

rmel

rmel

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
BHowett,

I'm a little slow on the uptake these days. I had a hard time keeping up with the riddles and was late with my response, as you suggested a new riddle was posted before my response.

I was on a Gold Forum in mid 90's to 2001, Kitco, as I collect coins (Certified Morgans and Gold Coin Sets, as well as silver and gold bullion, etc.) Did most of my buying in mid to late 90's when gold was at $240-$250 and silver was $4-$5 an once. When I became disable in January 2005 I sold my coin collection in late 2006 for $167,000. My wife and I were able to buy a condominium, we did have to use other money to buy it, but it is ours, bought and paid for.

Getting back to my point about Kitco, is that when I joined the Forum I really got into posting and liked a good debate. I also was getting allot of laughs from some of the people who posted on this forum ("laughter is the best medicine"). Mostly survivalist, guns, gold and silver were their pride and joy. There was never a day that went by that they did not discuss some conspiracy theory to take away their rights (black helicopters). Many were very paranoid, especially with new posters. When I started out on the forum, I spent most of my time reading the posts and getting to know the various personalities. As I started to post on the forum I was mainly talking to a few individuals. As time went on I was responding to almost every post that was being made, as they were posted, and there were many. After several months some of the members accused me of being a CIA Agent trying to infiltrate the Forum, and that I had multiple computers responding to their posts. Those were the days when I could juggle many tasks at the same time, now I have a hard time handling one task. It is for the best, as I was a pain in the butt at times.

That will not happen again, as I am calm, cool and collected. That's what I'm sayin'.

Best Regards,

rmel

Thunderbird1988

Thunderbird1988

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts
Piano9Playa5, your answer is correct. Your turn.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Ok... Just a sec. I want to cook up a good one:

Bob the explorer was exactly 20 miles from the north pole. Facing toward the north pole he began walking. However after 20 miles, he was still not at the north pole. How is this possible?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
because he was 20 miles from either the magnetic north pole or the "assumed" north pole when he started...neither of which are 20 miles apart...so if you walk 20 miles towards magnetic north but you're wanting to get to the "assumed" north pole (i.e. the top of the earth) then you're not going to get there....same if you started 20 miles from the assumed north pole

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts

because he was 20 miles from either the magnetic north pole or the "assumed" north pole when he started...neither of which are 20 miles apart...so if you walk 20 miles towards magnetic north but you're wanting to get to the "assumed" north pole (i.e. the top of the earth) then you're not going to get there....same if you started 20 miles from the assumed north pole

Great Answer! But wrong answer... You are thinking too much... It is rather simple...

Edited by piano9playa5, 19 November 2008 - 07:23 PM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

Great Answer! But wrong answer... You are thinking too much... It is rather simple...

ha ha the monkey thinking :)

I think its because the north pole is where earth's axis of rotation meets the surface, so he would always be walking south?

Edited by BHowett, 19 November 2008 - 08:34 PM.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
GRR!! Still thinking too much!! :)

I'm beginning to think I may have worded it incorrectly....

Facing toward the north pole he began walking.

This is the line that you need to focus on....

Edited by piano9playa5, 21 November 2008 - 08:17 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
because he froze to death on the way...or got eaten by a polar bear?

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Topic Starter
  • Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Still no!.... He was facing the north pole but walking backwards....

dsenette: I liked you answers the best... Go ahead and post anyways

Edited by piano9playa5, 21 November 2008 - 08:19 AM.