Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Disk Cleanup

• Please log in to reply

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Please advise if under Disc Cleanup© there is a drop down list one line of which says "Compress Old Files" it is currently reading 52,000 KB. Should this be checked off during the cleaning process?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have been running a couple of computers that are very similar in hardware. They both run games at the same speed, etc. On one computer i have been using compression in the files , and on the other computer i do not have compression activated. To tell the real truth i cannot notice any difference in over a year of running them and adding about 50 gigs of data to each computer. Speeds are still about the same. I can't say to compress or not to as i really don't think it matters.

Just had a friend that was watching me type this( he's never seen a three finger typer)and he mentioned that Linux on a computer has problems seeing compressed data on a windows partition. So that may be a reason to NOT compress the data.

SRX660

waynf

waynf

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
Thanks for your reply and one who is not too versed in computers, I am not too acquainted with LINUX, but would this inability to read compressed files cause any problems in reading WINRAR compressed data.? A quick Yes or No would suffice.